Treat Yo Self: An ode to midterm stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Midterms are among us and we all need a little extra loving to get us through those dreadful nights at the library. ‘Treat yo self’ is possibly the most first world expression I’ve ever laid eyes upon but sometimes it is just necessary, okay? If I recognise its ridiculousness, does that mitigate the use of an outrageous phrase? Regardless, here’s a list of my favourite ways to help you continue killin’ it:

Drink: Tea is the actual tear drops of angels and goes way under-appreciated here in California. One sip and a veil of peace rests upon the shoulders of the world. I’m not saying I’ve discovered world peace but just think about how many people AREN’T drinking peppermint tea at 3pm today and how many people ARE fighting wars.

Dibs: Grab the comfy chairs on the fourth floor of the Davidson Library. Girl, you deserve that extra cushioning, you’ve been studying so hard. Don’t let me see you settle for less.

Dance: Seriously, how can you resist a cheeky head bob to Justin Bieber’s new track? If he doesn’t do it for you then just put on some 90s R&B and get weird on the dance floor. In the words of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, all you need to do is “Boom! Shake, shake, shake the room.”

Dip: Salty skin and waves make everything seem manageable again. I mean, there are a million different organisms ready to kill you and suck your blood in the ocean but don’t you dare deny how good it feels!

Draw. Just do it, you don’t need to show anyone but just make something that you can be proud of. On a scale of one to humanitarian aid, it is pretty flippin’ fulfilling. Even if you wrote half an introduction on your 8 page research paper due this week, you can still say at least you created ART, man.

Delicious Expressions. Dude. What a place. Basically a palace of baked goods in Santa Barbara. The salivation is real and I’m going to eat the guilt I feel about finishing off two of these bad boys by emotionally eating two more delicious cupcakes. They even deliver to UCSB for the express purpose of alleviating midterm panic, what?!

You’re doing okay, your life is not as shambolic as your nails probably look right now. Power through those papers and late nights and treat yourself right.

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.