This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Traveling can be a stressful event for anybody—especially during the peak seasons. Whether you are traveling on your own or with loved ones it’s always best to be prepared. I feel like I’ve got a pretty good handle on traveling, myself having personally traveled to visit friends and family in various parts of the world. Listed below are some of my top tips and essentials for traveling and why they may come in handy.

A Good Read

Although this one may be self-explanatory, a good book is not just a leisurely pass time but also a practical prop. Whether you are in airports or bus or train stations, books can really come in useful. If you are needing to listen out for announcements on delays, flight numbers, or gates, reading is a great way to be present in the room whilst still passing time. You don’t want to be worrying about noise-canceling headphones doing their job a little too well; a good book will enable you to be aware of your surroundings whilst still keeping yourself entertained.

Some of my favourite easy reads are:

It Ends With Us

Book Lovers

Seven Husbands Of Evelyn Hugo

Daisy Jones and the Six

Nice Work (if you can get it!)

Podcast

Some may struggle to entertain themselves during the trip (motion sickness can also come into this). Podcasts are a great way to pass the time and have a laugh. With a mixture of educational, comedy, interview styles, or even storytimes, there is such a plethora to choose from. I have been really enjoying many of the shorter comedy-style podcasts recently. Here are a few of my favourites:

Nearly Weds

Saving Grace

Love Stories

Anything Goes

Call Her Daddy

Private Parts

Headphones:

Headphones are absolutely essential to your travel needs. Not only are they a need in order to listen to/watch your pre-downloaded treats, but they are a great way to block out your surroundings! Traveling can be a totally overwhelming experience and sometimes it’s nice to just close your eyes, lie your head back, and get some well-needed peace and quiet. Whatever your preference is, whether it be headphones, earphones, or earbuds, make sure not to forget them on your next trip.

Sony Headphones

Airpods

Earbuds

Hoodie/Hat

Similar to my point above, hats/hoodies can be your best friend when you want to cut out the mayhem. Once I get to my mode of transport (whether that be a plane, train, or bus), I always throw on my headphones, cancel out the noise, and put on a hat or my hoodie. I feel bundled up away from everything and comfortable (and then probably pass out for the rest of the journey).

Disposable Camera

If you are anything like me, you love to take a good photo on your travels. Photos are the perfect way of keeping the memory of your travels alive for years after the event. My favourite way to take photos on my travels is with disposable cameras. I love them so much for two reasons: number one is that I always forget to take photos, and by having my disposable camera I have to make myself accountable (as it would be a waste if I didn’t use the camera). The second reason why I love using disposable cameras is that it makes the photo so much more special. You have one shot at making sure that it is perfect and framed just the way you like it. Then comes the anticipated wait as to when you can get it developed and fingers crossed, if the flash is on, (learned that one the hard way) the photos will be a hit.

With these tips under your belt and a little preparation, traveling should become more of a relaxation than a stressor. Use the time to reconnect with yourself and catch up on the things you never have the time to do during the rest of the year. 

Hi! My name is Francesca, I am a second year at UCSB. I am originally from England but have moved to California for college. I love living in SB and being able to live out my California girl dream!