Top Ten Tips and Tricks for Your Black Friday Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. Prioritize your shopping list.

Before you go shopping you should always, always, ALWAYS, have what you want in mind. Create a list of things you definitely want and prioritize your money to be spent on the things you need. Black Friday is the day you should take advantage of the market to purchase the things you really want. It would be such a waste to not remember what to buy on the day of the shopping mania and come home with bags full of useless things.

2. Shop with someone who you can collaborate with.

In order to maximize time, collaborate with a close friend to shop simultaneously at different stores. If you want a new game from Game Stop but also want that new cute bomber jacket at Forever 21, what is a better method than to have two of you? Black Friday can be definitely be so much more fun when you can laugh about intricate plans and shopping failures with your close friends.

3. Check original prices prior to Black Friday.

Do not buy something without looking up the original price first. A good tip is to shop a few days before the big day to check the prices of the items prior to price reductions. Sometimes, Black Friday sales are not sales, but regularly priced items. This is a trick that many retail stores use to maximize profits. Do not be the person to fall for this. They know about how willing people are to blow their money amidst the sales and bulk purchases. They know many won’t check the prices. Even though those snazzy boots are $89.99 regularly and are priced at $39.99 now, you never know if they were ever $89.99 in the first place. You may just be falling for a common retail trick– do not be that person.

4. Know where to shop.

Create a list of all the places you want to go. Make a list of all of your favorite stores and be true to your list. Black Friday shopping will be so much easier if you know where to go in the first place. Aimlessly walking around and shopping never does anyone any good. It only encourages mindless spending. Save your money and only shop in places you commonly shop at in order to avoid any regrets later on.

5. Have a backup plan

If a store is too crowded, always have a plan B. That way, you can still get what you want and not having to risk waiting in line and getting your item snatched away from you. Keep your eye on the prize, don’t let your shopping plans be ruined for such a little thing as crowding.

6. Shop wisely by bringing a frugal spender with you.

Stay calm and know your limits. People tend to overlook this when they are caught up in the mindless spending trend of Black Friday. If you are a shopaholic, bring a friend who is a frugal spender, so that they can reason with your purchases. Even though that cute thirty dollar stuffed bear looks so cute at the time, it might just be the first thing you regret as you open the door to your room the following Saturday morning. Frugal spenders have the best reasoning in times of shopping hypes and their rationale is most likely better than yours if you tend to be the typical shopaholic. Trust me, I know.

7. Start shopping early.

Wake up earlier with a group of friends and bond in the cold while waiting in line. The earlier the better. Haven’t you ever heard? Early bird gets the worm! And this saying couldn’t be truer than on Black Friday. Of course, you will get first dibbs on the fully stocked shelves. Even though it may be hard at first, it may just be worth the 3 AM alarm. 

8. Create a budget and follow it.

It is really easy to get caught in the hype, but make sure you are shopping with reasonable limitations. You will feel so much better about yourself if you don’t suffer that buyer’s remorse later on. The thought of not over reaching your budget is the best feeling ever, especially if you buy everything you need without having to overspend. You get all the things you want without having to feel the guilt of overspending carelessly. You can also keep yourself accountable if you do happen to surpass it for your next shopping adventure.

9. Shop at the mall!​

This may be an unpopular opinion, but the mall is actually full of very calm people. Many people who go to malls on Black Friday are not rowdy like many folks on Black Friday. It is surprisingly calm and quiet most of the day. In fact, you can go later on in the day and still have things stocked for sale. However, shopping at the mall also increases chances of being tricked to buying original retail prices. 

10. Abandon the lines all together and go online.

Then there’s the second option. If you want to avoid the crowd and the screams, go online. It is convenient and you can effectively get what you want with just a click of a mouse. However, you still run the risk of not being able to try on clothes in person, or prevent damage of the product through shipping. The saying still goes, shop wisely.

Happy spending shoppers!

With that being said, spend wisely and have fun shopping!

Mable Truong is a second year collegiate attending the University of California- Santa Barbara, with a major in Communication. She is into everything that is cute, pink or characteristically happy. Despite her interests in pink and all things happy, you can often find her wearing a wardrobe composing of of mainly black, gray, and white. In hopes of making it big in the field of creative marketing and branding, she tries her best to incorporate her life interests to her education. DIY projects and interior design are her favorite past times, and you can often find her planning her next project in her overly pink dorm room.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay