This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The 2017 Oscars that took place were a grab bag of surprises, what with the unexpected victories, unexpected losses—oh yeah, and the Steve Harvey moment that was heard around the world when La La Land was announced as the winner of an Oscar that belonged to Moonlight. The thing that wasn’t all that surprising, however, was how stunning the stars looked on the red carpet pre-awards-show-catastrophe. Check out the 10 best gowns to hit this year’s red carpet! 

10. Jessica Biel

This year, Jessica Biel decided to adhere to the “champagne toned gowns only” memo and looked like an Oscar herself.

9. Isabelle Huppert

The “Elle” star looked sophisticated in her Armani Price gown, which looked great paired with her vampy lip shade. 

8. Taraji P. Henson

Henson S L A Y E D in her dark velvet gown, she should’ve gotten an Oscar just for showing up tbh.

7. Darby Stanchfield

Can we take a moment to appreciate how simple her dress is? It’s so clean! So fresh! This dress would not stay clean for more than three minutes if it were on me!  

6. Chrissy Teigen

Daaaaaaaamn Chrissy, back at it again with the ultra-high thigh slit! Teigen looked like a goddess per usual in her sparkly champagne number.

5. Hailee Steinfeld

Moment of silence to honor the heaven sent beauty that is Hailee Steinfeld. Can we just talk about the fact that she literally never looks anything less than radiant? She looks like an ACTUAL princess. 

4. Emma Roberts

She looks like she came straight off of an old Hollywood movie set yet somehow she looks like a fashion pioneer. Someone find an explanation for this phenomenon and get back to me ASAP. 

3. Olivia Culpo

Again with the vintage glam! Her gown screams “The Great Gatsby”. It is as delicate as her silhouette and I am so here for it. 

2. Karlie Kloss

How on earth can a human look so perfect? Probably because she’s from a galaxy far far away because this gown gives off some major Princess Leia vibes. Kloss looked amazing in her Stella McCartney ensemble. 

1. Emma Stone 

It’s only fitting that the number one spot on this list would go to the winner of the Oscar for Best Actress. Emma looked timelessand conveyed the same nostalgia for old Hollywood as La La Land did in this golden gown paired with soft waves and a rusty red lip color.  

Howdy! Lissette is a second year biology major at UC Santa Barbara. She enjoys art museums, calligraphy, and making art as a hobby and for the ucsb campus newspaper, The Daily Nexus! She has a soft spot for romantic comedies which explains why she is a self-proclaimed hopeless romantic. She also has an interest in all things boba and music.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay