Top 10 Fashion Documentaries on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. Dior and I (2014)

Image via Google Images

Dior and I (2014) offers an inside look into the world of high fashion following artistic director Raf Simons as he designs his first couture collection for Christian Dior. Fashion lovers will appreciate the in depth retrospective of the conceptualization, design and planning process behind big name designers. 

2. The True Cost (2015)

​Image via Google Images

The True Cost (2015) pulls back the curtain on the fast fashion industry and highlights the human and environmental costs that consumerism and global capitalism have had. Watching this documentary will make you question whether it is ethical to buy cheap clothes at the cost of the livelihood of the workers who make them. 

3. Franca: Chaos and Creation (2016)

​Image via Google Images

Fashion legend and infamous editor of Italian Vogue, the life of the late Franca Sozzani is beautifully chronicled in this documentary made by her own son. Her indelible impact on the fashion industry and her role in making Vogue Italia a beacon of innovation and inspiration are expressed in interviews with top fashion figures and personal interviews with Franca herself. 

4. The First Monday in May (2016)

​Image via Google Images

Art and celebrity power this documentary that delves behind the scenes of 2015’s China-themed Met Gala, the fashion world’s most dynamic annual event. Fashion is preserved as an art form and given importance by the stars that wear them. Anna Wintour, Vogue’s infamous editor-in-chief, is featured as the curator of the exhibit meant to merge the worlds of eastern and western high fashion. 

5. Inside British Vogue (2016)

​Image via Google Images

This documentary goes behind the scenes of coveted fashion magazine British Vogue as their editor-in-chief Alexandra Shulman prepares for centenary anniversary. Take a peek inside the industry as you get full access to top designers, photographers, runway shows, the occasional drama and more.

6. Sneakerheadz (2015)

​Image via Google Images

Sneakerheadz (2015) provides an in depth look into the subculture of sneaker collecting which has had worldwide prominence from Tokyo to California and everywhere in between. Sneaker collectors are profiled and show off their collections of countless sneakers, some of which they go to extreme lengths (and sometimes paying top dollar) to obtain. If you’re a shoe-head, this one’s for you. 

7. Fresh Dressed (2015)

​Image via Google Images

Fresh Dressed (2015) chronicles the history of hip hop and urban fashion featuring testimonies from hip-hop’s top fashion figures like Pharrell Williams and Kanye West. The film traverses urban fashion’s history from its start in cotton plantations, to its mainstream breakthrough in the 90s, and its widespread proliferation into corporate America and high fashion catwalks. 

8. Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women (2016)

​Image via Google Images

Having represented iconic models like Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell, the glamourous (and scandalous) life of “the man who created the supermodel” John Casablancas is chronicled in this documentary. The film not only document’s how Casablanca’s created the Elite modeling agency and launched many iconic modeling careers, but it also covers his personal life and the feuds between modeling agencies in the 80s.

9. Iris (2014)

​Image via Google Images

She’s flamboyant, opinionated, and 93 years old. Style icon Iris Apfel has had an immeasurable impact on the New York fashion scene, known for her flamboyant clothing just as much as her free spirited personality. Watching this will inspire you to try every trend, wear any color, and to overall have fun with fashion. 

10. In Louboutin’s Shoes (2015)

​Image via Google Images

The red-bottom shoe is an iconic symbol of luxury in the fashion world and in wider pop culture, and so is its eccentric designer Christian Louboutin. In Louboutin’s Shoes (2015) follows Christian as he gallivants across the world designing shoes for top celebrities and undergoes a project to create shoes designed by local Bhutanese artists. 

Leah is a 3rd year student attending the University of California, Santa Barbara pursuing a double major in Communication and Sociology. When she's not tagging her friends in memes, she enjoys watching YouTube makeup gurus and attending music festivals (when she can afford them). She hopes to pursue a career in the field of social marketing and/or public relations. Follow her on Instagram at @itsleaah!