This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As an anxiety-ridden teenager (really a young adult but my plan is to put that off for as long as possible), I know what it’s like to feel overwhelmed. And while I still struggle with how intensely I feel things, there are moments when I have been able to calm myself down. Here are a few tips to underwhelm the overwhelm.

1. Go on a walk or run

The Lalatennis Shoes Grass
Her Campus Media

Though I’m not a fan of anything that requires more cardio than walking to the fridge and back to my bed, I find that a walk, a breath of fresh air, and no destination in mind often leads to the best things. Whether that be a nice spot to come back to, a little shop to spend money on, or a beautiful sunset.

2. Talk things out with a trusted friend

Cozy Two Friends Girls Tea Sweaters Warm
Molly Longest / Her Campus

You’d be surprised how nice you feel after venting out your frustrations to someone you trust who will listen and not take over the conversation. It’s truly nice and makes the bond between friends stronger.

3. Watch a comedy

Person pointing remote at a TV that is displaying Netflix
freestocks.org

It can be a movie or a series, but comedies are great for getting your mind off of things and getting you to laugh when you feel so far away from the action.

4. Listen to music and dance it out

Jojo Rabbit
Giphy

It’s a therapeutic way to let out the pent up tension. Besides, nobody is watching so you can move any way you want. Pop it, lock it, bop it, throw it back. Dance however you want to whatever music you want and blast it loud and proud.

5. And finally, cry

Joey Friends Thinking
Giphy

While it’s not the most positive of feelings, it is healthy in its own way. They say crying purifies the soul. Who doesn’t want their soul purified? Find yourself a private little place and cry. If you’re struggling to let it out and really need to, play some sad music to help get the process going and let yourself feel what you need to.

Alexa is a fourth-year English major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Interests include: listening to music, exploring, and reading.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus