Tim Pontius ’12: Soccer Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Tim Pontius is a senior here at UCSB and one of our soccer team’s finest. His four consecutive years of playing for the UCSB Gauchos has finally paid off as he has recently received the news of a lifetime–he was drafted to play for the Seattle Sounders. This is an accomplishment that every college soccer player dreams of experiencing. Fortunately, I had the unique opportunity of interviewing Tim about his transition to Seattle as well as the things he will miss most about UCSB. Make sure to keep an eye out for Tim and other recently drafted Gauchos in MLS news! 

Her Campus: I heard you were just drafted to the MLS, can you tell us about the team?
Tim: Yes I was. I am now playing with the Seattle Sounders and it has been a great experience so far. The team here is very good and it has been very cool to be able to play with some of the great pro players on the team here.

HC: What are you looking forward to in regards to playing professionally?
T: Playing professionally would be a dream come true. I am looking forward to playing games with the Seattle Jersey on as well as some day playing in front of the great Seattle crowd. I can only imagine what it feels like when you walk onto the field and see 35,000 fans cheering for you.

HC: How were you feeling when you found out you were getting drafted?
T: I was unsure about what was going to happen that day but when I found out I was going crazy. I started to play music really loudly and I could not stop smiling. It was a feeling unlike anything I have ever felt before.

HC: What is your favorite memory playing for UCSB?
T: My favorite moment playing for UCSB is probably when we beat UCLA 2-0 at home my junior year in front of 16,000 people. That was a great night for the team. Other than winning a lot of games I would have to say the best thing has been making great friends on the team. There are a few guys from the team who I consider to be really good friends of mine and I would have to put that as my number one memory of UCSB soccer.

HC: What will you miss most about Santa Barbara?
T: The thing I will miss most about Santa Barbara would have to be the great times that I have had with my friends. There have been so many great times together and words really cannot explain how much fun I have had over the last 4 years with everyone.

HC: What other activities do you enjoy besides soccer?
T: I enjoy hanging out at the beach as well as hanging out with friends. I also like to watch pretty much all sports as well as playing pretty much all sports. I am an active guy so I like to always be doing something.

HC: What are your thoughts on the tortillas on the field?
T: I love how Santa Barbara soccer fans would throw tortillas on the field. Nowhere else in the world do fans do that so it is truly something special. It was awesome to be involved in a goal celebration when tortillas were raining on you.

HC: What songs do you like to warm up to?
T: This is a funny question; I am sure my roommates could answer this one. I enjoy house music such as Avicii, Swedish House Mafia, etc. –nothing too crazy. I just like music that makes me feel good inside. I also enjoy a lot of songs you would here in a club.

HC: Are you looking forward to playing your former Gauchos, Sam Garza, James Kiffe, Luis Silva and many others at the professional level?
T: I am looking forward to seeing all of the former Gauchos out on the field. I think it will be a very fun experience for all of us when we see each other on the field.

HC: Who is your favorite soccer player?
T: My favorite soccer player would have to be Messi. The guy is unbelievable. 

Elizabeth ('12) is studying Communication and Professional Multimedia Writing at UC Santa Barbara. Born and raised in Calabasas, California, she is a valley girl at heart, but loves spending her time in big cities or at the beach. Elizabeth is currently interning at Santa Barbara Magazine, and is also a writer and reporter for the food, arts, and entertainment sections of her university's newspaper. After a semester studying abroad in Europe, she spent the past summer in New York City as an editorial intern at TV Guide Magazine through the highly competitive ASME Summer Internship Program. Aside from previous internships including a local radio station, Elizabeth worked in Los Angeles at FOX 11 KTTV as a production intern for the top-rated morning show, Good Day L.A and FOX 11 News, and was also recently published in Seventeen magazine. An entertainment fanatic, Elizabeth has interviewed E!'s Giuliana Rancic, the cast of Glee, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and more. She is also a dedicated member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and served her chapter as Vice President and executive board member. When she's not editing Her Campus articles, you can expect to find her at the gym, shopping, eating chocolate, or watching any show on Bravo. Elizabeth is preparing for a career in print or broadcast journalism, and loves working for Her Campus!