Think Outside the Beach: Santa Barbara’s Best Hikes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Here at UCSB, we’re lucky to be located between the ocean and the mountains. Even though the beach is just steps away, the Santa Ynez Mountains are packed with hiking trails that are well worth the drive up north. So remove the laptop and empty box of Freebirds that have been resting your stomach for the past three hours, and get ready to become one with nature. Whether you enjoy breathtaking views of the coast or close-up sights like waterfalls, Santa Barbara has hikes guaranteed to please any adventurer!

1. Seven Falls

Distance: 2.5 miles round trip

Difficulty: Moderate to Difficult   

This hike requires good coordination, as it involves some boulder climbing toward the end of the trail. Nevertheless, a few steep inclines don’t seem to affect its popularity among the locals. As its name suggests, the hike leads to seven falls, and they flow into three shallow pools. You’ll have a greater chance of seeing fuller falls after the rainy season, so bring a swimsuit – the weather will be warm, and you’ll want to take a dip in the pools by the end of this trek!

2. San Ysidro Falls

Distance: 4.5 miles round trip

Difficulty: Moderate 

Like the Seven Falls hike, the San Ysidro Falls hike leads to picturesque waterfalls. The trail is mostly wooded and runs beside a peaceful creek. It isn’t the hardest hike, but its adequate distance makes it a satisfactory workout. With its tranquil falls, the overall area is like a hidden paradise. Once again, try to visit during early spring to see the falls at their fullest.        

3. Tequepis Trail

Distance: 8 miles round trip

Difficulty: Difficult  

Mountain, ocean, valley, and lake views? Tequepis Trail seems to be filled with every aspect of natural beauty that Santa Barbara has to offer. Located in the backcountry of Santa Barbara, the highlight of this trail is its panoramic views of Lake Cachuma. The hike can be pretty strenuous, though, so take plenty of time to rest and enjoy all of the sites you see along the way.

4. Inspiration Point

Distance: 3.5 miles round trip

Difficulty: Easy  

Not a sunny weekend goes by without this location being geotagged in at least one of your friends’ Instagram posts. You can’t go wrong with Inspiration Point – it’s the go-to hike for many. It has a gradual incline, making it both relaxing and rewarding. With its inspiring views of the mountains, ocean, and all of Santa Barbara, this point truly lives up to its name!

5. Montecito Peak

Distance: 7 miles round trip

Difficulty: Difficult 

You’ll be following a winding creekside trail to reach this scenic peak. It’s at an elevation of 3,214 feet – much higher than Inspiration Point’s 800-foot summit. That being said, expect a longer hike, but even better views of the coast. The terrain is also more challenging, so be sure to keep a steady pace on your way to the top. At the end of the day, you’ll be left with the sense of accomplishment that comes with finishing a seven-mile hike…and an artistic shot of yourself pondering life while gazing at the majestic Pacific in the distance (new Facebook cover photo?).

For maps and more information about each hike, check out www.santabarbarahikes.com.

Melissa Doran