This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With COVID regulations in full effect, my college experience, with exception of classes and some commitments, has come to an end. It’s unfortunate that it has to end like this. I’m taking some time to reflect on my experience and figure out what was good and bad about it. Here are some things I regret about college and some things I don’t.

I regret not studying abroad 

As a high school senior, I had planned to go to Sonoma State and study abroad in my major. I didn’t end up going to Sonoma, but I held onto the hope that I could study abroad as a transfer wherever I ended up; that didn’t happen. It was one of my dreams to go to Australia and study but it didn’t work out because of a lack of planning and my dad having severe reservations about me leaving the country because of a lot of personal reasons. A lot of these weren’t exactly my fault, but I regret not trying harder to go abroad. However, I know I can just look forward to traveling after college. 

I regret not trying harder in classes

I started as a double major in communication and sociology, but I just couldn’t do it. Communication was too hard and in hindsight it shouldn’t have been. I just got lazy and convinced myself I couldn’t succeed. I’m definitely happy with sociology, and I like it a lot, but I feel like I could’ve done both given the opportunity. On the other hand, it might have been really stressful, so I guess you have to pick your battles.

I regret not getting as much experience 

To me, college was about grades, work, and extracurricular. I didn’t look for internships until I had to. The only reason I came across my internship now is because I was nervous about not being prepared, and now it’s not set in stone that I’ll get to continue. I’ve had two internships including this one, which is a fair number, but I do wish I had started looking sooner.

I regret not asking for help 

I’m the type that doesn’t like to ask for help because I feel embarrassed, even though it’s not something I should be embarrassed about. I just worry about asking stupid questions. Once at an old job I got yelled at for asking a “stupid question,” and that was legitimately the last time I asked for help since then. Looking back, I realize that I let a mean manager scare me into thinking my questions were invalid, and that wasn’t right. I’ll be looking forward to getting over this fear after college.

I regret not making the most of college

I think I missed a lot of resources and opportunities in college, whether it was at work or school or in an extracurricular setting. I often opted out of various activities because I didn’t wanna go out. I’m not gonna say that it’s my fault that I get really socially anxious, and I am happy with what I did, but there is a lot more I could’ve pursued. 

I regret not taking time for myself 

Fall quarter of senior year, I burnt out. Very few people noticed, but I felt like I wasn’t committed to everything I was doing. I worked two jobs, interned at school, had 14 units of classes, and pledged a fraternity. As a result, I often left my house at 7 AM and didn’t get home until 8 or 9 PM. While these were all great experiences, they tired me out and my biggest regret is not stopping my over-exertive behavior sooner. 

I don’t regret my choice of school

When I first started here, I did feel some remorse about not choosing UC Davis or UC Merced because they are closer to my hometown. Despite the location, neither school had the best program in what I was looking to study, and Merced didn’t even offer communication so I would’ve had to go with business. I was afraid to come here, but I am super glad I did. It’s prepared me well, and I couldn’t be happier with the school.

I don’t regret joining a fraternity

Going into my senior year, I had felt like I wasn’t super involved. In spring, I had wanted to rush a sorority but my dad shut that idea down because “you don’t need to spend money, or at least that much, to make friends.” Instead, I went for Alpha Kappa Psi and Delta Kappa Alpha. I didn’t receive a bid for either, and I was bitter for a while. However, when fall came around, I remembered being intrigued by Alpha Phi Omega. I went to a Taco Tuesday event, and the rest is essentially history. I’ve made some of my best friends and learned a lot about myself. This might sound biased but it’s the best one out there; I highly recommend it to anyone who’s interested in a professional group. 

I don’t regret being a writer 

I’ve always loved writing, and I knew that I wanted to pursue it at least casually in college. I found out about TBL through social media and reached out. One thing led to another, and I now find myself being the Campus Beat Reporter for the paper after about a year of writing. It’s an awesome job, but it doesn’t feel like work. It’s definitely time consuming, but it’s rewarding. Writing is one of few things that doesn’t feel like a chore to me, and I’m hoping to pursue it even after college. 

I don’t regret helping pay off expenses 

I’ve worked since I was starting in college, so not as long as some people but enough to have a good idea of what it’s like to be part of the workforce. I knew that coming to UCSB would be no exception. I didn’t work for the first quarter I was here, but in April I got a job at Paper Source as a cashier. In August, I took on a second position with the mall. I did both for a few months and then left Paper Source. Now with COVID complications, I’ve also left the mall. Even though it wasn’t ideal to have to leave both jobs, it was the best choice for my schedule and mental health. I’ve always liked working because it makes me feel independent and it prevents me from having to rely on my parents for everything. If you have the opportunity to fend for yourself (at least somewhat), why not take it? 

I don’t regret leaving uncomfortable situations

College is full of awkward situations. Some are more noticeable than others. I have two experiences I’d like to talk about. The first was when I was part of a group on campus and left because I felt uncomfortable. Long story short, I got chewed out because I wasn’t as committed to the position as others were. At first it didn’t seem fair, since it wasn’t just me, and it felt like I was being singled out. I thought about it and decided to leave. I didn’t just leave because I felt awkward, but it wasn’t right for me to continue. Another situation was with former housing. I was in a triple, and I loved the girls, but I felt cramped in a small bedroom with two other people. My step sister told me she had a space available in her room, and I jumped on the decision. It cost money than I was paying before, but it was so much better than my old situation. Overall, I definitely did express skepticism about leaving. I didn’t want it to seem like I was quitting. Sometimes, though, you have to put yourself first, and make sure that you aren’t treated as any less than you are. 

I don’t regret caring about my future 

I’ll be honest, I’ve been told I’m too caring. This can apply for a lot of things, but especially my future. People tell me not to stress, but I’m a natural worrier. I want everything to be perfect. Especially now, you have to be thinking about next steps. Am I gonna get a job after college? Is it worth it to stay in school and get a minor? When’s my degree gonna come? All of these things go through my mind. I’ve tried to not let them but they don’t stop, and that’s not a bad thing. I know that things will be okay, but sometimes you have to put in that extra work and I don’t mind doing so in order to secure myself the best future. 

Obviously my experience is not shared by everybody, and my intention is not to say that I feel regretful about my experience. It’s not that I want to brag about the good times. Rather, it’s more of a look into my college experience. I am happy if people can resonate with my perspectives! 

Madison Kirkpatrick is a graduating 4th-year student majoring in Sociology. In her free time, you can find her writing, taking photos, fantasizing about traveling to Australia, or talking with her friends about the latest episodes of Survivor and her new guilty pleasure, The Challenge! Her future career will hopefully be in the LA or Bay Area and incorporate marketing, social media, photography, writing, or some mix of the four.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus