Things to Expect as a UCSB Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Ah, it’s that time of year when thousands of students from across the country submit their SIRs and finally commit to joining the UCSB fam. Current students begin to get swarmed with a ton of questions from upcoming freshmeat freshmen and said freshmen start to get excited and/or nervous. To all the future Gauchos or current Gauchos looking to reflect upon their first years, here is a list of fun yet helpful things to expect when the 2016-2017 school year begins:

1. Pedestrians yield to bikers.

If you learn anything from this post, let it be this. It ain’t that hard to look L-R-L before you walk! But don’t worry if you screw up, we’ve all been there.

2. We have amazing weather most of the time, but be prepared for the cold.

It’s true, the weather here is sunny and fantastic pretty much all the time. When it does cool down, though, be prepared. It can get really, really windy and wet. Yeah, the wind has bent my umbrella before.

3. The food is good – but choose your meal plan carefully.

SB dining commons serve decent food and there’s a pretty good variety, but pretty soon you might get tired of the same selection. Suggestion: start with a lower meal plan because you can always upgrade. If you want to downgrade, you have to wait until the next quarter begins.

4.  LOTS of beautiful people.

It’s true. It’s not a rare occurrence to see a bunch of really good looking students who look like they just stepped out of an Abercrombie ad on an everyday basis. It’s chill, even though you never really get used to it.

5. Really cool events to take advantage of.

UCSB hosts some amazing events, many exclusive to Gauchos and really cheap! The school also collaborates with venues Downtown to offer performances at great student discounts. Examples of cool programs this year? Snoop Dogg, Fitz and the Tantrums, Jai Wolf, and Vince Staples. 

6. It’s lit.

Like, all the time. Like, sometimes as early as Wednesday evening.

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;) 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.