Things to Consider Before Adopting a Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Dogs

Image via Shannie Kuo

Dogs may be man’s best friend, but when it comes to care they definitely require the most maintenance. Attention, walks, vet bills, baths—we are all familiar with these—but one of the most important decisions you have to make when getting a dog is where you find it. 

Adopting a pure-bred versus a shelter dog is a good start. Are you looking for a specific personality you can rely on? This is where buying pure-bred has the upper hand… for the most part. There are many dogs in shelters that are pure bred or a mix of two similar breeds that might also be a good option when looking for a reliable personality. Do not encourage private breeders by buying dogs from people’s homes or “puppy mills”, because there are already too many animals in need of saving. Many shelters euthanize animals because there are just too many animals being entered every day. Besides, giving an animal a home is feels good!

It’s also important to consider this: if you don’t have a yard, walking a dog 3-5 times a day can be practically impossible when you are working or in class all day long and unable to hire a dog walker. Having time to train the dog is also important; it gives them a sense of purpose and prevents unwanted behavior. Also, most dogs need a lot of attention, and bad habits can form from neglect. Some larger breeds are much more hyper than others (Huskies, Dalmatians, Labradors) and need even more attention.

Unfortunately, a lot of people around IV tend to not consider these things before adopting a puppy. Puppies demand even more time due to training, and require a lot more patience. Having an animal is a lot of responsibility, which makes it difficult for students to be good owners. Too many students find themselves ultimately unable to take care of the puppy they’ve adopted. If you absolutely need an animal while in school, consider adopting an adult animal from a shelter that you won’t have to train and will suit your lifestyle!

Cats

Image via Olivia Montiano

A lot of people are very allergic to cats, which makes having various housemates difficult.

If you do adopt a cat that likes to roam, be sure to note that on its collar tags so that people aren’t alarmed when they encounter the cat out on the street.

Cats are practically a twenty-year commitment (that’s even longer than dogs, typically), so if you plan on moving somewhere after school where coyotes are present, think twice before adopting an animal that’s vulnerable to that environment!

Rats

Image via Bailey Clark

Although a controversial animal, these little animals are sorely misunderstood.

Most people can’t get over the fact that rats seem “dirty”. Rats are actually very hygienic animals that are constantly grooming themselves. They self-clean like cats, but shed way less hair. Similar to dogs, rats will often give their owner and friends “kisses” as a sign of affection. They are extremely social animals, communicators, and are capable of making clicking sounds if they are really happy—comparable to a cat’s purr. How adorable!

All in all, rats are really fun pets and live for 2-4 years, which makes them a much less sizable commitment to a college student!

As a Biology major pursuing a Writing Minor, HerCampus ensures that writing remains a part of my everyday life. Food, sustainability, science, feminism... my articles reflect my passions and allow me to communicate with readers about student life and the beautiful UC Santa Barbara community.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)