Wellness > Mental Health

There Needs to Be More Mental Health Awareness in the Latin Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Did you know that women are 70 percent more likely than men to experience depression during their lifetime? How about that Hispanic women in the United States experience depression at about twice the rate of Hispanic males and are at a higher risk for depression compared to Caucasian and African American women? 

Clearly there’s an issue here. Although depression is not exclusive to specific genders, races, and geographical locations, we still must question why statistics showcase high rates among a specific demographic.

why are depression rates especially high among Latin/Hispanic women?

One of the reasons we need to consider is the culture. Many women come from traditional, immigrant families–this means that many families carry with them traditional religious and cultural beliefs. Religion can be a protective factor for mental health in Latin/Hispanic communities through practices like faith and prayer, but it can also contribute to the stigma against mental illness and treatment through interpretations of demons, lack of faith and sin. There is also this perception in Latin/Hispanic communities, especially among older people, that discussing problems with mental health can create embarrassment and shame for the family, resulting in fewer people seeking treatment. 

Speaking from personal experience, my parents didn’t believe mental illness/depression was real. They would tell me that people who have suicidal thoughts are crazy and should seek guidance through the church. I was taught that therapists were a waste of money and I had nothing to be depressed about, that I should be grateful for my life compared to the one they escaped from. I’m sure many of you can relate to this and I am here to say your feelings are valid and therapy is not a waste.

It is also important that we address the negative impacts of Machismo Culture on many Latin/Hispanic women. Machismo is basically a social behavior pattern where the male constantly asserts dominance over their family. So, in many Latin/Hispnaic families there is an unhealthy assertion of dominance from the father over his wife and children. In severe cases machismo can lead to physical abuse in the household. Because the machismo mentality still exists to this day, it can contribute to why many women experience depression and do not get treated–they are afraid of going against the beliefs of the man of the house. Machismo culture also reinforces gender stereotypes, so often the wife and daughter(s) have to tend to things like cooking, cleaning, helping take care of any other children which can often be extra stress, especially if you have another job on top of that. It is imperative that we break machismo culture and teach families now and in the future better.

Many Hispanic/Latin people also face language and financial barriers that contribute to lack of awareness of mental health issues. It can be hard for many to communicate about what they are dealing with if they only speak one language and even though there are many bilingual professionals out there now, parents often don’t know where to look for help. Additionally, many families may not have the financial means for a therapist or for seeking any kind of help. Unfortunately, we live in a country where healthcare is highly expensive and many of us, especially minorities, do not have the privilege for things like a therapist.

So, how can we raise awareness?

For starters, we need to start acknowledging that depression is real and more common than we think. We also need to start acknowledging that mental health is just as important as looking out for our physical health. There is a need for more open conversations and normalization of mental health issues because they are not something to be ashamed or embarrassed about. I know oftentimes starting a conversation with your parents can be a little intimidating, but having an open and honest conversation is always the first step. You can always bring in a third person or do research that can be discussed with family. Sometimes reaching out to a friend can also be helpful and perhaps they can help you find the resources you need. 

Schools often have counselors you can reach out to as well. Here at UCSB we have CAPS, which can help you and assign you a counselor to speak with. You can reach them through phone at (805) 893-4411.

Alejandra is a fourth year global studies major with a minor in professional writing. She was born in LA and has moved around a lot eventually ending up studying in sunny Santa Barbara. Her hobbies include writing, drawing, and fashion. She also dreams of owning her own clothing line/business.