Style

Support Women’s Dreams With The Starfish Project

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Looking to add accessories to your outfits? Then the Starfish Project is right for you! This online jewelry brand is both unique and inspiring, as they solely hire previously trafficked  women and young girls in order to help them gain independence and establish careers.

The brand was started in 2006 by a small group of friends who were deeply troubled by the ever-increasing exploitation of women in Asia. From then on, establishing relationships with these young women became the catalyst for a highly successful business. By the end of their first year, a wholesale order of 60,000 pairs of earrings was sold!

On a weekly basis, they also free young women from being forcibly trapped in the sex industry, offering holistic care programs and life skills training to help them find their own economic footing. You can also donate to them directly on their website, as these contributions allow the Starfish Project to provide safe housing, medical insurance, education grants, daycare, and counseling for the women they’ve helped rescue. A lot goes into ensuring their safety, and with each purchase or donation made, the more opportunities these women have to attain a better life.

To give you a taste of the beautifully-crafted jewelry these amazing women have created, I have listed a variety of products that you should check out!

Caroline mother of pearl stud and fringe earrings

A combination of studs and dangling fringe, these earrings are both simple and elegant! And if you’re not quite feeling the golden fringe rays, then you can always stick with the pearl studs whenever you feel like it.

Blossom necklace

Stunning, right? This is perfect to wear out during the spring and summer months! To add to this look, you can purchase the matching earrings as well!

Kady gold ring

Resembling a honeycomb, this ring is perfect for any casual outfit, and it would go great with the heather gray necklace and earrings to match!

Sedona stretch BRACELET

With its earthy sunset tones, this bracelet would look great for summer! The color scheme is one of my favorites in their beaded bracelets collection, which you should definitely check out.

TWIST HOOPS

One of the Starfish Project‘s best-sellers are these twisted hoop earrings, which come in various colors as well. It’s popular for a reason, and I think it would look great for any season.

“ALWAYS WITH YOU” GIFT SET

Now, this collection of jasper stone is a delight! Sweet and sentimental, this is a perfect gift for your loved ones.

In addition to displaying these exquisite products, the brand also highlights some of the women’s stories. You can even get a glimpse of their personal blogs on the website itself, where each designer discusses their journey of healing and where they see themselves in the future.

For instance, Fay’s story is one of great strife and perseverance. As a teenager, she was trafficked to a brothel by one of her relatives, where she was left alone to fend for herself. However, when the Starfish Project offered her a way out, she took on a position in jewelry production and quickly climbed the ranks to management. 

Fay was able to continue her education and develop a career in accounting, and she now works as an accounting assistant at Starfish Project‘s headquarters. It’s nice to read about how much progress women such as Fay have made through this project, and I think it especially conveys a powerful message about having hope in difficult times.

When you purchase jewelry at the Starfish Project, you’re supporting these women’s safety and encouraging their personal dreams. I hope you take a look through their products and learn more about how your participation can lead to positive changes for women across the world!

Sofia is a third-year Writing & Literature major at UCSB. In her free time, she enjoys watching anime, playing video games, and drinking chai tea.