victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

The Dilemma: To Spend Time With Family Or Friends Over Holiday Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The light at the end of the tunnel: Thanksgiving and winter break. For college students, holiday breaks are the periods of refuge we look forward to all quarter. Offering a well-deserved pause from the hectic demands of the quarter system, breaks are a time of relaxation. However, one dilemma they pose is the balance between spending time with family or friends. If you’re lucky enough to have both, it can be hard to split time between the two groups. This dilemma is more important than ever when trying to plan such a short-lived Thanksgiving break. I’m here to help you plan the perfect break by considering the pros and cons of both!

Hunkering Down With Mom & Dad

No matter which holidays or traditions you are celebrating this season, most tend to center around family activities. Some might include putting up holiday decorations around the house, taking a photo for the family Christmas card, or hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for your extended family. It’s fun to keep traditions alive and get in the holiday spirit at the same time. After all, any time spent with family is well spent in my book. More importantly, holiday traditions often are the one thing that doesn’t change after moving away to college.

Spending the quarter away at UCSB often leads to homesickness, meaning that returning home brings comfort and is sure to ease any anxiety. Likewise, the comfort of a hug from a sibling or a mother’s home-cooked meal is sure to raise anyone’s spirits. Not to mention, there’s an unlimited amount of catching up to do after time spent apart. 

Lastly, the comfort of a home filled with family members is paramount to any living experience possible here in Isla Vista. In case you forgot what luxuries we left behind in exchange for our independence, the reminder of having free laundry or your own bedroom is sure to remind you. 

Take a quick trip home and spend some time with your family. They miss you!

Old Friends Are Calling My Name

Family is great; however, not everyone has a large family or one they want to spend heaps of time with during breaks. Maybe your holidays involve just you and one other family member or solely friends. Don’t worry; you don’t have to miss out on the fun!

Although many family-centered holiday traditions exist, renditions like Friendsgiving and Secret Santa cater to friend groups. As a result, you can enjoy the holiday season’s fun without missing out on any classic activities. Planning friend activities can also reduce some of the stress associated with the holiday season. Plus, you won’t have to answer awkward questions from grandparents about your love life, career goals, or weight during these events. 

Even if you’ve kept in touch with your hometown friends while at UCSB, there’s much to catch up on when you’re together in person. Your friends will likely hear much more detail about your personal life than can be shared with family members, and letting it all out can sometimes take a huge weight off your shoulders.

Finally, holiday breaks may be your only chance to visit those childhood friends you love. Especially if your friends attend a different school or live across the country most of the year, breaks can be one of the only times to reunite. Visiting a childhood friend’s home or returning to the places you used to frequent in high school can hit you with a wave of nostalgia—bittersweet but comforting. For some of us, it’s essential to make time for the people we grew up with. 

The Decision

So, will I ever be able to pick between my family and friends? Maybe someday, but this holiday season, I will be sure to split my time between the two. The short-lived Thanksgiving break might be more family-focused, but winter break gives me ample time to spend with friends too. These four weeks may seem monotonous, but in the end, I’m sure it will fly by before I know it. As always, remain grateful for the people in your life, and never take a moment for granted. After all, this dilemma is the real gift this holiday season; I’m fortunate to have family and friends to spend the season with. 

I’m a second year political science major and I’m so excited to be contributing to HerCampus! I love music, cooking and spending time with my friends. :)