photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving Season: A Time to Give Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With Thanksgiving coming up, many of us focus and reflect on how grateful we are.  So why not take that gratefulness a little bit farther this year and give back to Santa Barbara? Here are just a few ways where an hour or two of volunteer time can go a long ways.

Image via GiveTeens20

1.Volunteer at Friendship Manor

Friendship Manor has a plethora of volunteer activities, but perhaps the easiest way to volunteer is asking to help serve meals. Three times a day, volunteers can help the elderly residents with their meals. This is a great way to start recognizing the friendly faces of Friendship Manor. If you want a more personal experience, you can come during their “tea time” and simply sit with the residents. They’re constantly thrilled to see new, young faces, and talking to them for a few minutes will make their entire day (if not week!). 

Image via The Bottom line @ UCSB

2.Give to Your Local Food Bank

Did you know that $1 can provide 8 meals? The food bank has a lot of different ways you can donate. If you don’t have the means to donate a few dollars though, donate food. Canned goods, fresh produce, coffee, and other products are all needed. When you drop off the goods, you might as well stay for an hour or two to help sort goods, serve food, or sign up for an outreach program.

Image via Nonprofit Kinect

3.Clean up your Beach

Living in Isla Vista guarantees us the beauty of the beach. However, it can only stay pristine and clean if volunteers help pick up trash that line the shore. Cleaning up the beach is easy, convenient, and gives you an ocean view while you volunteer!

Image via The Bottom line @ UCSB

4.Become a Big Brother/Big Sister

The Big Brother or Big Sister program allows you to mentor a child in need of some guidance, whether that is by giving them advice or helping them with their homework. You get to play with kids and teens and get to know one special child on a personal level. As the title suggest, you are essentially acting as a big sibling to them and simply just being there for them.

Image via Community Teamwork

5. Volunteer for the Special Olympics

The Santa Barbara Special Olympics is currently looking for volunteers. This is a great way to learn about how a nonprofit organization operates, and it allows you to spend some time with the mentally challenged and see the incredible feats these athletes can accomplish.

Image via Santa Barbara Triathlon

Hi! My name is Paige Farrenkopf and I'm a third year at UCSB. I'm majoring in Sociology and minoring in Professional Writing, and hope to someday go into the mental health field. I'm apart of Delta Gamma, Gaucho Tour Association, Kids in Nutrition, and Health and Wellness here at UCSB. I love writing and am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)