This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We’ve had our fun in fall quarter: meeting new people, taking a swim at the beach after classes, and going home for every three-day weekend. The weather was perfect and the sun stayed shining until 7. Now, the weather’s much colder. The sun sets at 5, leaving you to walk back after your section in complete darkness. Finals are finally over! But a new, much more difficult quarter is about to start. Surviving winter quarter doesn’t just mean getting good grades, it means taking care of yourself mentally and physically. Don’t wait for spring to enjoy your year, make winter quarter your best quarter yet!

Stay organized from the beginning

Staying organized from the beginning is one of the most important tips for having a successful winter quarter. Now that we’ve become accustomed to college life, it should be our priority to stay on top of things. Speaking from experience, it’s incredibly easy to forget assignment due dates, sections, and meeting times if there’s nothing reminding you.

From a previous avid physical planner, I recommend you make the switch to a digital planner like Google Calendar. Having a physical journal, especially a cute one, makes you feel so put together, but it’s also quite a hassle. A digital calendar can send reminds and they’re so easy to change due dates, times, and events.

Now, what should you even start planning? Start with all your weekly classes and sections. Once you’ve got your syllabus from your professor, include all the important due dates onto your calendar. Test days, project due dates, and final dates are some of the important dates you should be including. With all the main events scheduled, slowly start adding to the days, creating a guide for your daily schedule.

To keep all your events even more organized, color code everything. Classes in blue, outings with friends in red, meetings in green, and so on. Using a calendar helps you stay on top of the things you’ve committed your time to, but there’s many more options and add ons to stay organized. To do lists, checklists, and anything else that helps you organize out your thoughts is something you should definitely invest your time in.

set realistic goals

Every New Years Eve, I write a huge list of unrealistic goals I hope to accomplish by the end of the year. By the time December rolls around, I’m disappointed at the lack of checkmarks next to these ridiculous goals. Don’t set yourself up for failure this winter quarter by setting crazy goals. What someone defines as unrealistic is completely up to them, but if you’re currently on the first step of a long road and expect in your goal to reach the last, it’s time to alter your expectations.

Setting realistic goals doesn’t mean lowering your expectations and standards. It merely means to give yourself room to grow and change without strict guidelines. In order to improve yourself and your environment around you, make steps towards your goals. Write out the plans you wish to pursue and the areas in your life you wish to change. The “what” of a goal is important, but just as important are the “when,” “where,” and “how.”

Make sure to stay consistent so your actions slowly, but surely turn into habits and then goals! Need some ideas for realistic goals to set this quarter?

• Introduce yourself to your professors and TAs. When in need of help, attend office hours and tutoring services.
  • Read ten pages of a book either every morning or every night. Build up your knowledge.
  • Stay active in an extracurricular activity. Extracurriculars can range from sports, academic clubs, and cultural groups. Choose an activity that speaks to you and stick with it.

Don’t sacrifice your well-being

College is about the experience. Years down the line when you look back at your college life, you’ll regret sacrificing your physical, social, and mental well-being. I get it — there’s academic pressure placed on you from parents, peers, and even yourself, but it’s so important to balance the things in your life.

Learn how to take a break and go easy on yourself. Winter quarter is stressful and draining, especially when it’s so cold and dark. Allow yourself to make mistakes and take it easy. Pushing yourself harder when you’re already stressed won’t make you better, it’ll lead you to be burnt out.

When it comes to balancing your winter quarter schedule, make sure to make room for quality time with friends, family, and yourself. Going out and having fun can clear your mind! Every day is a new opportunity for new experiences, so say yes to more and learn to step our of your shell. Go stargazing at night. Visit the hot springs. Get wingstop at 1 in the morning. Take a day trip to Solvang. Enjoy your time — don’t let the quarter slip away!

Happy New Year and happy new quarter! This time of year doesn’t have to be dreadful. Focus on more than just your academics, but your health, happiness, and community. As you take care and plan for your future, make sure to sit back and enjoy the quarter because before you know it, spring quarter will be upon us!

Hi my name is Lydia Kim and I'm a first-year Economics and Accounting major at UC Santa Barbara. I'm an editorial intern and I enjoy writing, reading, journaling, and going on internet rabbit holes. In the future, I hope to work in marketing and become a creative director.