Student Elections Are This Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Student elections are this week! If you’ve been on campus at all this quarter you probably noticed all of the colorful banners and posters asking for your vote, and you probably walked down the Arbor and collected pamphlets from student candidates. Now is the time to practice your right to vote for things that matter at UCSB. Isn’t it great to live in a democratic republic?

To vote in the spring student elections, go to https://vote.as.ucsb.edu. The ballot opened on Monday at 8am and will close at 4pm Thursday.

You will have to log in with your NetID and password, the same log in information that you would use for Gaucho Space. Next, certify that you are who you say you are, and then you’re on your way to vote!

Note that you have the option to abstain from voting for certain measures.

Here are some things to keep in mind when you vote.

1) What is O.P.P?

O.P.P. stands for Open People’s Party.

The party platform rests on the following:

• Academic excellence – Expanding classroom space, reducing textbook prices, and improving academic advising
  • Communal safety – The creation of a Police Advisory Board and Sobering Center for students.
  • Revitalization of Isla Vista – Organizing a campaign to transform Isla Vista into a “Community Services District.”
  • Student jobs – Providing increased job and internship opportunities within A.S. and Santa Barbara, as well as networking with the Alumni Association to assign in job finding and placement post-graduation.
  • Empowerment – Creating “How Does it Work?” videos that showcase how the University bureaucracy works, like how the UC budget is determined and the process of setting GE requirements.
  • Fiscal responsibility – Reevaluating A.S. spending while also exploring new revenue sources that won’t result in increased student fees.
  • Essential Services – Advocating for more resource centers for transfer students, veterans, and other under-represented student populations at UCSB. Also, introducing a 24-hour café for increased student jobs and healthy food options.
  • Statewide Advocacy – Pushing for California legislation that will provide for resources for sexual assault survivors and veteran students.

2) What is DP? Isn’t that a street?

Yes. DP is the nickname for Del Playa, but it also stands for the Democratic Process Party.

The DP Mission Statement goes as followed:

“We believe Associated Students should be Associated with the Students. It was on this belief that we founded the Democratic Process Party. Our candidates were elected through an open general primary, where everyone had the opportunity to participate or run. That’s what makes our party unique. DP Party is the ONLY party in the ENTIRE state with a primary system.”

The Black Student Union (BSU) endorses the 2014 DP Party slate.

Candidates Navi and Daniela of the DP Party are endorsed by the Daily Nexus.

Don’t forget about the reaffirmations of existing constitutional lock-ins. Voting “YES” will not increase your A.S. fees. You have the option to vote “yes” or “no” to continue the funding of Education Opportunity Program (E.O.P.), Isla Vista Arts (IV Arts), Finance Board and Food Bank.

And just as important are the 2014 A.S. Fee Initiatives:

• The Student Union Revitalization Fund (SURF) Initiative that will reform the University Center.
  • Composting Program Fee will support and sustain the Associated Students Department of Public Worms (DPW) composting program.
  • Support Queer Commission and LBGTQ Students at UCSB: QComm would use the fee to provide funding for LGBTQ related events and programs.
  • Senior Book: The Senior Book is a commemorative book created by UCSB students for the graduating class. So, it’s like a yearbook.
  • Legal Resource Center: The Associated Students Legal Resource Center (LRC) provides legal education and consultation to students
  • A.S. Bike Committee The A.S. Bike Committee will use this funding to implement a roundabout that will expand the intersection at the northwest corner of the SAASB (Student Affairs Administrative Services Building) building.
  • Catalyst Literary Arts Magazine: The Catalyst Literary Arts Magazine is a quarterly student-run publication that provides a printed space for original student art and creative or academic writing.

And when you cast your ballot, there’s a GIF of a kitten playing Jenga.

Adorable. Happy voting!

Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy
Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!