Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Struggle of Being Too Broke to Travel for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In just about every college movie, Spring break is a time where college students jet off to sunny, foreign countries and forget their responsibilities for a week.  Although this stereotypical view isn’t completely accurate, it’s not wrong either. Spring break travel is an option for a number of twenty-something year olds.. just not for those with three dollars in their bank accounts. While some of your friends are frolicking in the clear, blue waters of a country whose name you can’t pronounce, you’ll be at home this Spring break probably feeling something like this:

Broken-hearted because at the moment, your travel board on Pinterest is the closest you’ll get to your wanderlust goals

Everyone’s travel plans sound exciting and exotic while your stay at home plans sound lame

But you refuse to allow yourself to be a shut-in this entire break while others are out doing touristy things in foreign countries

So you think maybe a staycation without the “stay” is a possibility

But your bank account is like…

You’re not really that mad though because you’ll be in bed most of the time anyway tbh

Then you try to solace yourself by living vicariously through your friends’ social media posts, but it only emphasizes your sadness

Until finally you stop trying to make fetch happen and accept that you’ll be home this spring break 

Naomi is a fourth-year, English major and Multimedia Writing minor at UCSB. She is originally from the LA area, but aspires to someday make it in New York as a web content writer. Cats, green tea and British accents are slight obsessions of hers.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay