Career

The Story of a First Generation Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

My parents immigrated from Mexico to the United States at a very young age, approximately ages 18 to 20, they were my younger sister and I’s age actually. Their story is truly remarkable, as they embarked a whole new journey to an unknown country to live a better life for my sisters and I. This is where my story of being a first generation student begins.

Often times, being marked as a first generation student automatic thoughts of negativity come up, as yes it is true that first generation students are not exposed to things such as FAFSA, college classes, internships, post-grad applications, etc. therefore are left to figure it out. As a third year in college, however, was that being in the process of figuring it out, I have endured a series of qualities and traits that will help me grow as an individual. My acceptance to UCSB was the beginning of my journey as a first generation student, I began to navigate what financial aid was, what it even meant even. When accepting my financial aid package, being 100% honest I did not know what it meant, however I accepted it and wished for the best. My first year at UCSB was me trying to figure the process out. As time went on, I began to navigate what it was like being on my own away from my parents, what to do in cases of emergencies, etc. My first set of classes were completely random, I had no idea what I was taking yet I was especially intrigued, they were classes I chose! Attending a predominantly white university where everyone’s parents aided them in choosing their classes, what to expect from professors, etc. I did not. However I lived every day of my first year as a surprise, and took the positives out of it. Now, upon the middle of my third year of college, my parents tell me I am bright, I am smart, I am strong and determined and I believe them, I also see it in myself. It warms my heart as I hear my grandparents say “My grand-daughter studies at the University of California Santa Barbara, and she will be a lawyer one day”. 

Being a first generation student has taught me how to use my resources, as there are many we have that we need to take advantage of.  Being completely honest, my college experience has been a ride of both positive and negative experiences, but what keeps me headstrong as a first generation student is setting a prime example for my siblings and my younger cousins that education is possible with a little push and a lot of motivation. Being a first generation student means we are the first of many generations who will embody the importance of education, while thanking those who made it possible along the way: my parents, thank you.

empty classroom with wooden chairs and desks
Feliphe Schiarolli on Unsplash

Jennifer Romero is a third year Sociology major with a minor in Poverty, Inequality and social justice aspiring to practice entertainment law in the near future. She loves catching golden hour with her housemates and her best-friends and has an odd obsession over Shrek and uncrustables. Catch her working at the arbor playing Justin Bieber`s "mistletoe" on the speaker (*wink wink*)