#SpringCleaning: Clean Up Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Spring is often a season symbolizing a rebirth or revival, so we thought it would be appropriate to begin a weekly lifestyle series called #SpringCleaning that will provide you tips on how to freshen up everything from your closet to your body. Because swimsuit season is quickly approaching, we thought we would begin the series with tips to change up your diet so you can look, and, most importantly, feel your best. 

1. Don’t skip breakfast

You probably hear this a ton, but do you actually do it? A good breakfast kickstarts your metabolism and gives you energy for the rest of the day. If you skip, you’ll want to eat more during your other meals for the rest of the day. Why do you think Leslie Knope is so successful? She eats her breakfast (and ok, a bunch of other factors too).

2. Munch on snacks

Condition: they must be wholesome or healthy. As easy as it is to scarf down a handful of Oreos when you get hungry throughout the day, try and crunch on a bag of carrots. Rather than having a sudden surge of energy from processed sugar only to be more tired later on, clean snacks will hold you off and keep you energized. Plus, what are pockets for if not for holding healthy snacks?

3. Meal prep

Although this requires a bit of time and planning, you’ll thank yourself in the long run. You can portion yourself so you don’t eat more than you need, and you won’t have an excuse to order some takeout because you already made food and don’t want to waste it.

4. Drink lots and lots of water

You heard Nene! A lot of you would probably prefer reaching for an ice tea or soda, but just try to remember: not only will your skin be glowing and radiant, but water keeps your stomach full so you’ll be less likely to reach for those unhealthy snacks. To get yourself to follow through, get a refillable water bottle to bring with you everywhere or flavor your water with cucumber or mint.

5. Eat carbs

Yes, you read that correctly. Don’t buy into the myth that carbs will make you “fat.” If you pair complex carbohydrates with lean protein, you’ll decrease insulin spikes and maintain your energy levels. Enjoy some whole wheat pasta like Michelle Tanner, utensils optional!

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;) 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.