etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break Travel Packing Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s that time of year again–when the warmth of the sun hits comfortably on our skin, and the crashing of waves are clearly heard. It’s almost calling our names, as we take our last finals and get ready for Spring Break 2014. While you are worried about acing your last finals, leave your spring travel packing worries to us! Here are a few necessities that we swear by for the sun-kissed week:

1. Crop tops

Crop tops have been the dominant trend over the past year, but now they’re hotter than ever. You can dress a crop top up with matching bottoms for a sophisticated dinner look, or just pair the top with a simple pair of cut-off denim shorts and hit the beach. 

2. Art Print

The paint splatters, colorful murals, and bold patterns that are printed on camis and tops are a quick way to look springy without much effort (which is music to my ears). Pair the top with boyfriend jeans and a cute pair of sandals, or with a slim back pant for a more dressed up look.

(These street styles are instantly glam!) 

3. Fringes

What is spring break without festival/boho inspired outfits? A fringe bag is a small but quick way to welcome the season without overdoing the trend. Or, you can opt for a more bold but understated look (like shown in the picture). 

4. Big florals

The idea of big, bold flower patterns can be daunting, but it’s definitely the easiest trend to wear. These floral rompers and dresses are seen all over clothing stores like Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, and even ASOS. In my opinion, rompers and dresses are effortless to wear and a comfortable alternative to a plain t-shirt and shorts.

(I have my eyes on this romper from ASOS right now!) 

So, this spring break, wherever you are going, pack lightly because all of these trends and essentials can be dressed up or down to create a totally different look. Whether you’re enjoying a nice dinner downtown or hitting the beach daily, I promise people won’t even notice you’re wearing the same thing twice! 

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!