This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

This quarter, I am taking an English class that has piqued my interest as well as that of other English majors. It is a class that is perfect to take during spooky season. The class I am talking about is ENGL 192SF: Science Fiction, taught by Professor Brian Donnelly. Inspired by the stories we are reading in that class, I compiled a list of Sci-Fi stories that are sure to leave you at least a little uneasy, if not spooked.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

This classic tale launched the idea of time travel. It tells the story of a time traveler who visits London in the year 802,701. He meets the future of humanity and theorizes on the way humans came to evolve in the way he observes. It’s a tale that will leave you wondering what humans will be like in the future, and what the future of the planet will look like after humans as well. 3.5/5 Spookiness Level

The Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle

The book series that inspired the many movie adaptations started with this novel, which starts as a story told through a message in a bottle discovered by future inhabitants of the galaxy. The message in the bottle warns the future of humanity about an ape-inhabited planet. The tale follows the point of view of Ulysse Merou, a journalist who traveled to an Earth-like planet run by chimpanzees, orangutans, and gorillas. The story makes the reader question what it means to be a human versus an animal and the line that divides us. The twist ending will certainly give you something to think about. 3.8/5 Spookiness Level

There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury

This short story is set in the not-so-distant future and tells the story of a smart house that is left abandoned by humans after a nuclear attack. The house runs its daily tasks as if humans were still there and eventually burns down. There Will Come Soft Rains shows how humans rely on technology and the dangers of nuclear warfare. 3/5 Spookiness Level

The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke

Set on the moon of Earth, this story tells of an astronaut who finds an artifact left on the moon by an alien species. The story explains that the artifact is left for humans to find in the future when they invent space travel and are therefore deemed intelligent enough to join the cosmic travelers. This story will make you question what is out there. 3/5 Spookiness Level

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison

This last short story is not included in the curriculum of the Sci-Fi class, but I thought I’d include it as it is a very scary science fiction story that will surely leave you horrified if you choose to read it. It depicts a sentient computer called AM that has taken over the world and enslaves humans in a maze that consists of the never-ending torture of humans. The story is filled with creative ways the AI tortures the humans and is not a story for the weak. 5/5 Spookiness Level

Although most of these stories are not bone-chillingly spooky, they are a great read, especially for this time of the year. The last short story will definitely scare you enough to keep you up at night. Reading is a healthy activity for any time of the year, and if you want to take a fun, engaging, and interesting English class, I definitely recommend taking ENGL 192SF: Science Fiction.

Hello! I’m currently a fourth year English major at UCSB and an editorial intern for HerCampus UCSB. I enjoy reading fiction books that include coming-of-age stories as well as romance novels. I also enjoy creative writing and journaling. I am a first-generation college student, as well as a child of immigrants. Looking forward to using my voice to shine light on mental health issues in young adults and to give a voice to the Latina community.