sorority advice?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sorority advice?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / 20th Century Studios
Life > Experiences

Sorority Life At UCSB vs. UA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In early May, HBO Max released a trailer for their upcoming documentary titled Bama Rush, revealing the complexities of the rush recruitment process at the University of Alabama. If you’re like me, you’ve seen Bama Rush videos on TikTok that highlight everything from the pastel ruffle dresses to the viral dances in front of the sorority house. However, this trailer points out the significant issues that lie beneath the surface of the glitz and glam. It also prompts an interesting question: Are sororities at other colleges just as over-the-top or problematic as sororities at Alabama? How does UCSB Greek life compare to all of this? 

Rush 

Let’s just say, rush week at Alabama is CRAZY. Rush is the period of time when students interested in joining Greek life go through a two-way evaluation process that determines if they get in and what chapter they join. The recruitment schedule at Alabama is around ten days of hair, makeup, outfits, and occasional crying and screaming. When girls get a bid for the chapter they wanted, they go absolutely wild (I’ve seen too many of these videos).

UCSB’s rush process is a little more low-key. Rush only consists of four rounds compared to the higher number of rounds and other mandatory events at Bama. Many girls still get a bit stressed during this process, but from what I’ve heard, it’s not that big of a deal. I have yet to see a video of a UCSB girl bawling her eyes out after getting a bid. 

Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures

Community 

The Alabama Panhellenic community is the largest in the nation, and its website notes that this large community allows for plenty of opportunities to create close-knit friendships. The Bama TikToks of girls hugging and dancing with one another prove this claim, but of course, this could all be for show. On Greekrank, there is a discussion post that asks if Greek life is toxic at Alabama, to which many people reply that it can be, but it’s worth it in the end. I think this applies to UCSB Greek life as well.

Most people in UCSB sororities that I’ve talked to have made super close friends there. One sorority girl, who asked to remain anonymous, from UCSB said, “I met some of my best friends through the sorority. If I didn’t choose to join, I wouldn’t have met my future housemates who I have so much in common with.”

On the other hand, I’ve heard from girls who’ve complained about the toxicity within their sororities. While this doesn’t represent everyone’s experience, it is important to note the positives and negatives of living in these communities. Overall, I think every organization is going to have some toxic moments, but that shouldn’t take away from the fact people can also form meaningful relationships within them.

Diversity 

In one part of the trailer, a black sorority girl is shown looking uncomfortable, remarking, “People will just stare at you if you have any color in you.” The University of Alabama sororities are historically white and have had quite a few racist scandals. Black women make up only about 0.40 percent of Alabama’s 5,000 Panhellenic sorority members. Even when black women do receive a bid from a sorority, many experience discrimination.

A number of articles have reported racist behavior within Bama’s sororities, including the incident in 2021 where racist texts were exchanged in an Alpha Phi group chat. In the past few years, there has been a push to improve diversity and inclusion within Greek life, and while some colleges have progressed, others have continued to resist. 

The UCSB Panhellenic website includes an inclusion statement addressing the long history of whiteness in Greek life and listing ways the organization is combating white supremacy and exclusion. You can even fill out a form at the bottom to report bias incidents. While it is great that UCSB Panhellenic addresses these issues on the website, it’s hard to say if action is actually being taken. 

Sororities vary from school to school, and while Greek life can foster friendships and connections, it can have many downsides as well. It’s important to do your research before joining, whether you go to the UA or UCSB.

Hi! My name is Zoe and I am a fourth year history of public policy and law major at UCSB.