This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Spring Break. Mexico. The two words are forever intertwined. The OTP (one true pairing), if you will. For me, an English-born, non-Californian native, this was an experience I longed to know. I knew a few people that went to Mexico last year. The majority spoke about their all-inclusive resort holidays in Cabo. However, as amazing as this sounded, it wasn’t really the type of trip I was after. 

I wanted to explore a little more, travel somewhere more low-key to immerse myself in the culture, food, and adventure. So early this year, in between the unseasonable snow and the freezing flash floods, I fell down a Mexico travel rabbit hole. As I mind-numbingly scrolled through Tiktok travel trends and aimless articles, I stumbled upon Sayulita. 

Sayulita is a quaint, hippie, surf town. It is located in the Mexican Riviera Nayarit, along the Pacific Coastline about 24 miles from Puerto Vallarta city. Sayulita is also a Pueblo Magico (magical town) because of its natural beauty, culture, traditions, food, and hospitality! It was exactly what I was looking for and within a few days, I booked my trip. 

Travel 

The journey to Sayulita is super easy. Being only a one-hour drive from Puerto Vallarta airport with multiple private and public shuttle options makes it easily accessible. I took an early morning direct flight from LAX to PVR. I arrived at around 11:30 in the morning and was picked up by Gilberto, our taxi driver, organized through our hostel! The drive began in the city, before winding through rich green jungle territory on our way to the ocean. 

Accommodations 

Sayulita offers an abundance of locations to stay in and around the town. From high-end resort-type hotels, to breathtaking AirBnbs, to budget-friendly hostels — Sayulita has it all. Traveling on a student budget came into play when selecting my accommodation, as well as proximity to the town centre (Walking being the transport of choice!). I landed at Selina hostel in downtown Sayulita. With many room options from private rooms to shared bunks, it has something for everyone. Myself, and two other friends, chose to stay in the family room. It had a queen bed and a bunk bed, as well as a private bathroom, making it perfect for what we needed. 

Selina exceeded expectations for us all. The rooms were beautiful and were arranged on two floors overlooking a plunge pool at the center. We had access to a shared kitchen and cinema area and were offered a free drink and wellness class on arrival! Conjoined with  the hostel itself, Selina’s Restaurant is also one of the best spots in town to get deliciously prepared food and drinks. By night, the restaurant is transformed. Whether that be into a salsa club, a karaoke bar, or a rave, Selina never missed. 

Experiences 

As part of Selina’s package, they also offered day excursions. When my friends and I saw an option for a horseback ride to the beach, we knew we had to live out our Three Amigos dreams. Early Thursday morning we were picked up in an open-back truck by Rancho Mi Chaparrita and taken to explore the farm. Carlos, our trusted cowboy connoisseur, made sure we were familiar with our horses and took us on a highly personalized tour. For our finale, he took us all for a gallop on the Pascualito beach and dared us to stand on the saddles! It was beyond worth it and a memory I will have forever. 

Food

Sayulita has  some of the most mouthwatering Mexican food in the country. Being a foodie myself, I could not wait to taste and try anything and everything I could. I had a few highlights that I just had to share. Number one would have to be El Itacate

Their tacos were indescribable. Famous for its steak tacos and keto burritos, El Itacate had a line down the street of hungry mouths following the delicious smell wafting from the kitchen. I ordered the famous rib-eye steak taco and the carne asada. Any order of tacos comes with a fully-fledged salsa flight featuring three different salsas, fresh limes, and grilled and red onions. Paired with an iced cold Corona, these tacos are a meal I will never stop talking about.  

For a sweet treat whilst walking around the town, Chocobanana will definitely tempt you with their $1 frozen chocolate bananas! With topping options of granola, toasted coconut, and sprinkles, it is near impossible to say no. (I may have had one… or three myself!) The street churros are also a must when walking around in the evenings. My favorite would have to be the caramelo.

Honorable Mentions

Sayulita has so much to offer it’s impossible to write down everything to do and every reason to go! There was not one thing that I experienced that I regretted or that did not exceed my expectations. I would recommend going and having a meal on the beach. There are many places along the waterfront with a variety of prices and food options, whether you go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s not every day that you find yourself enjoying  a meal with sand between your toes. 

Lastly, take the time to step into the technicolor tour of trinkets that is the Sayulita market. From hand-embroidered animals, splashing of bright colored pom-poms, and hand-crafted jewelry, there is something for everyone. Just make sure to bring a pocket full of pesos as it will be hard to walk away!

If you are looking for something more quaint and off the beaten track, Sayulita is for you. The beauty, beaches, bananas, and budget make it an ideal Spring Break destination, even one I suggest you explore during summer! Since I left, I have been chewing off the ears of my friends at home (sorry!) and will be forcing them all back out to join me in the near future. A margarita in hand and the sound of mariachi at the beach may be a distant memory to me now but one that I hope to return to indefinitely!

Hi! My name is Francesca, I am a second year at UCSB. I am originally from England but have moved to California for college. I love living in SB and being able to live out my California girl dream!