samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Slow Slip into Adulthood: Watching Myself Become My Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We all love our parents… but it is difficult to watch ourselves become them before we even graduate from college.  Here are some ways I catch my friends and myself gradually becoming boring adults and resembling our parents. 

1. The “When I was a kid” statements.

Yes, I have already said it. “When I was a kid, we didn’t have all this technology! Our parents made us go outside and play a sport or make something.” I have heard this statement slipping from my own lips a time or two. And yes, I am an 80-year-old grandpa, let’s move on.

2. Talking to retail workers/waiters/anyone just trying to do their job.

When finally stepping up to the register, I found myself slipping into a “wow, busy day here today, huh?” and could practically hear the dad jokes forming in my brain. Although the cashier smiles and nods along because she is paid to be nice, I was still embarrassed that I, a young college student in her prime, sounded just like my dad.

3. Picking up your parents’ annoying habits that you used to hate.

I’m talking about trying to get your friends to wear sunscreen at the beach (who needs wrinkles before age 30, am I right?), double checking everything or being excessively picky about something. For example, it used to annoy me when my mom would clean up and organize my closet. Now whose clothes are folded identically and in perfect order? Oh yeah, me. And it is insanely irritating to look at other people’s closets, overflowing with messy clothes. 

4. Liking interior design… and watching old people design shows.

When I was a kid and my parents turned on a show about flipping houses or interior design, I would roll my eyes. Now, planning my own apartment, I am addicted to Mr. Kate on Youtube (not sponsored) who designs beautiful offices, bedrooms and living rooms. I watch with excitement as she makes over a whole room for $300 or less, with a neutral color pallet and strategically placed pops of color. Why do I care about a neutral color pallet? I don’t know. But do I want one? Obviously.

5. Complaining about ~adult things~.

Not the fun adult things, the lame ones: the lighting in a restaurant, how loud a club is, standing up all night wearing heels, how they are turning your childhood park into a restaurant, the price of pomegranates (okay seriously though, why are pomegranates so expensive?) or “how the kids dress these days”. When I was a kid—here we go again—I always wondered why my parents complained about stuff that seemed like it didn’t matter. But, adulting is hard and sometimes those little things can feel like big things when you are trying to pay rent, take care of people and become successful at work. Moral of the story: be nice to your parents because hey, you might end up just like them!

All images via Giphy

Maddie is a recently graduated English major and is excited to enter the publishing industry.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)