Sleep- Not Just For Your Grandma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We have all read about how getting more sleep will make all of our life problems miraculously disappear. I promise this isn’t another one of those articles which are usually full of unrealistic expectations, like not being on your phone for 30 minutes before bedtime. Let’s be real… bae has gotta get some goodnight texts! My roommates like to refer to me as “grandma” because I have the sleeping habits of one, as I usually hit the hay around 10 p.m. Most of them do not follow this schedule, being typical college students, and that can make it difficult for me to sleep. How do I manage to catch those z’s when my roomie comes home at midnight and heats up a cup of ramen in the microwave? Or when they return from a party on a Tuesday night super lit and are laughing with friends?

I have three tactics to create a perfect, calm oasis to get that beauty sleep.

Image via giphy.com

First, earplugs. Not just any old bright orange ones they hand out for free on airplanes, but the silicon moldable ones you form into your ear. These are a game changer. Coming from a light sleeper, these ear plugs have effectively blocked out all noise from Kardashian episodes to the latest pop song from Migos.

Image via giphy.com

Second, eyeshades. These are not just for show on TV shows and in movies, it’s like having your own personal blackout shade without having to pay for one. As Isla Vista apartments often have window shades that are either ill-fitting, with missing panels, or straight up broken, that ray of light coming in in the morning at 6 a.m. can be an unwanted wake up call.

Lastly, and a bit of a splurge, a white noise machine is a godsend! This has been the latest to my arsenal and one that I wish I had gotten much sooner. Imagine a giant fan mixed with ocean sounds… essentially a barricade to all signs of an outside world. Good things do come in small packages because this little machine has managed to transform my sleep. Goodbye roommate screaming, goodbye obnoxiously unnecessarily loud neighbors playing music, goodbye every annoyance!

Image via giphy.com

Sleep well lovelies! Nighty night and don’t let the bed bugs bite!

Image via giphy.com

Hi! I'm a second year at UCSB studying history of public policy. You can find me hitting the gym, running by the beach, or trying out a new recipe from Pinterest!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)