This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With winter coming, one important part of your body you should definitely be taking care of is your skin! As the weather changes, usually skin becomes more dry and if you don’t keep your skin moisturized it can get very flaky and cracked. When I started college, I learned about the amount of chemicals in products that we use everyday, so today I have some recommendations for easily accessible oils that you can find in your kitchen to clean, care for, and moisturize your skin!

ORGANIC OLIVE OIL & EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

Organic olive oil is great for cooking and great for your skin. Olive oil has a huge range range of uses from cooking to shaving. It can be used as a makeup remover as well as a moisturizer. You can put some oil on a cotton pad and use it to take off makeup and then wet a face towel with warm water and wipe off the remaining oil. Leave the excess to moisturize your skin overnight and wake up to a super smooth, moisturized, and soft face. This is another option for those with extremely dry skin or eczema, if appropriate. Extra virgin olive oil can be used for shaving and the best part is that you don’t even need to put on aftershave cream or lotion afterwards because olive oil already moisturizes your skin (saving money and time)!

RAW COCONUT OIL

Coconut oil is useful and affordable. It’s great to consume because of its health properties and moisturize with (not to mention it smells amazing too)! When you apply oil, you want to massage it into your skin slowly.  Coconut oil can be used on your skin to get rid of makeup and on dry skin, heels, and cuticles. For softer and more moisturizd heels you can massage some coconut oil onto dried heels, slip on a pair of socks, and go to sleep! Overnight the skin will absorb the oils and it could help with the cracking and dryness. Coconut oil can also be used as a hair mask to moisturize dry, damaged, and frizzy hair. In addition, it can also be used to whiten teeth (google “oil pulling”) if done correctly! (Unrelated to skin but it’s super cool to watch how coconut oil interchanges between a solid and liquid state upon a small temperature change. Give it a try one day!)

ALMOND OIL

Almond oil can be an alternative to other cooking oils but can also be used on your body. Almond oil is loaded with vitamins A, B, and E and has anti-inflammatory, anti-heptatotoxic, and immunity-boosting properties. Like the other oils in this article, almond oil can be used to remove makeup by massaging the oil onto areas with makeup! Almond oil works amazingly for taking off waterproof mascara and can doublesup as a moisturizer too. Since almond oil is not a super thick oil, it can be absorbed into the skin easily without clogging pores. . After showering, you can massage almond oil onto your skin as a moisturizer and over stretch marks . Many pregnant women use this trick to help with their stretch marks during and after pregnancy. It smells really sweet and can make skin look like it is glowing!

With that, these are some of the oils that can be doubled up for consumption and for your body! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Using these oils does not necessarily guarantee these results.

Hello! Devonne is a fourth year Chinese major with an applied psychology minor. She loves to binge watch shows on Netflix, trying out new food, and writing her penpals during her free time. She has an obsession with being organized and the Container Store a little too much. She is also interested in learning more about watercolor painting and modern calligraphy. 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.