Life > Experiences

Simple Holiday Recipes With Ingredients Easily Found Around The House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As a college student, getting into the holiday spirit is always harder than expected. Growing up, I was accustomed to my mom decorating the house and making special holiday meals and snacks. While hers were elaborate and impossible to fully replicate, I miss her energy around the house by her constantly wanting to do special things to help me get into the holiday spirit. 

In college, I look around and I don’t see the spirit I used to — I don’t see the decorations, I don’t see the fancy desserts, I don’t see the holidays. 

It’s time for me to change that. And I know exactly how.

While decorating a college house is quite the grind, the easiest way to get into the holiday spirit is by making little delicious snacks from things around the house. 

Sounds easy right? Let me tell you how through these simple recipes.

Dip Covered Pretzel Wreaths

Find some regular pretzels found in your cabinet and dip them in any sort of dip. Personally, I love chocolate.

After covering the pretzels, arrange them in a circle shape — just like a wreath — and let them sit out to dry.

After they dry, the circular shapes made of pretzels should be stuck together making it appear like a wreath!

While this is a recipe that can be done any time with any sort of dipping, the shape and intention behind it make it the perfect holiday treat. My housemates and I eat these up, literally!

Christmas Tree Cheese Ball

As funny as it sounds, this recipe is utterly adorable and delicious.

Acquire any sort of cheese and form it into a vertical standing tree shape (triangular). Next, take a coating of any sort of fresh herbs or seasoning and cover the tree-shaped cheese structure. 

Bonus points if you have any pomegranate seeds or nuts to stick on to make it look like ornaments. 

Serve with a plate of crackers and there you go, a Christmas tree perfect for your holiday charcuterie board or the perfect festive appetizer to share with friends.

Ice Cream Snowman

This is the dessert I have been making almost every night since it hit December 1st. Pretty self-explanatory, I would say.

Take three scoops of the ice cream of your choosing and form them into the shape of a snowman.

Using snacks, candy, nuts, or fruit just lying around the house, give your snowman legs, buttons, nose, and whatever accessories you desire.

Taking less than five minutes to create, this is the perfect spontaneous holiday dessert to make for a cute holiday movie night with friends or to share after dinner.

Warm Apples and Cinnamon Sugar

Another simple, but delicious, recipe. I promise.

Nothing screams the holiday season like a classic apple pie. While baking an entire pie is unrealistic for a college student, this recipe will do the trick.

Heat apple slices in the microwave for a minute or two and then serve them with a side of cinnamon sugar. 

It gives the flavors of an apple pie, without the time, the mess, and all of the effort.

Leading up to the actual holiday, especially while suffering through finals week and exams, the holidays are the only thing pushing me through to the end.

These are some of my favorite holiday recipes, and as easy and simple as they are, they always help to get me into the holiday spirit. Which I know I so desperately need in the weeks leading up to going back home for the holidays.

So do yourself a favor: relax, unwind, and get into the spirit with these easy recipes. I know I will be!

Hi there! I am from Newport Beach California and am a fourth year communications major here at UCSB. I love going for walks and runs around Isla Vista, going to the beach with friends, and going on spontaneous adventures. I am so excited to be able to contribute to the amazing writing platform that is Her Campus.