This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You may have first heard the term “gap year” before your high school graduation to refer to a year (or other specified period of time) taken off of  school to focus on non-academic pursuits such as personal development, traveling, or work experience. While gap years are commonly associated with the period immediately after high school, they can be taken during your college years as well.

In fact, gap years have become increasingly common  since the Covid-19 pandemic. As it becomes a more popular option for students, you may wonder if taking a gap year is right for you. But like any major decision, there are several things to consider before making your choice.

First of all, it’s important to ask yourself why you want to take a gap year. There are many reasons college students decide to take a break from school: professional development, mental health, and saving money are just a few general ones. One of my supervisors at my former job took a gap year to earn money and narrow down the choices for his career path. 

More typically, however, students have specific events or circumstances in their lives that lead them to take a gap year. A friend of mine and a former UCSC student, Miguel, took some time off from his studies due to uncertainty about continuing with his major. “It’s a pretty big life decision and I wanted more time to figure it out,” he told me.

Taking a gap year does indeed free up a lot of time for students. They can use this time to explore their interests, travel, or gain work experience while they sort out their college plans. Miguel, for example, began working at a local pharmacy and doing online research to investigate other options for his major. Most students have very positive experiences taking a gap year. One study found that 88% of students report that their time off added to their employability; the time spent away from school allowed them to develop important non-academic soft skills that would help them in the workplace.Gap years can even help students in their academic achievements too. A study at Middlebury College found that students who take a gap year perform better in school than their peers when they return to taking classes.

My friend found that taking a break from academics can do wonders for mental health as well. “My mind is a lot clearer without the stress,” he stated. When he returns to UCSC in the fall, he’s confident that he will be fully re-centered and ready to succeed in his academic pursuits.

That being said, taking a gap year can lead to some difficulties in your personal and academic lives, too. Transitioning back to school can prove challenging for some;returning to old study habits and keeping up with schoolwork certainly isn’t easy after taking a long break from it. 

Many students also struggle with the idea of falling behind their peers. In regard to this issue, Miguel told me, “It’s definitely a little tough at times.” Students who take gap years may feel stuck as they watch those around them continue to make strides towards graduation, while they themselves don’t make any tangible progress towards completing their degree. 

Among other reasons, this is why it’s especially important to make a plan for the time you’ll take off from school. Your gap year should be productive and help you to reach a particular goal, whether it’s to decide on a course of study, to earn money, or to recenter yourself. In the future, when employers or school counselors ask why you decided to take a gap year, you should be able to clearly and easily explain your reasons for doing so, as well as what exactly you did during your break from school.

Taking a gap year is not for everyone, and sometimes it can be more stress than it’s worth. But if you decide it’s a good choice for you, be sure to take all of the necessary steps in order to simplify the process. Reach out to school counselors and classmates for support so that your transitions out of and back into college can be as smooth as possible. Set a clear course of action for the time you’ll take off and hold yourself accountable in completing everything you intend to do. If you thoroughly plan your gap year by considering all the points listed above, the time taken off from school can be incredibly fulfilling!

Kendall is a third-year Communication student at UCSB and an editorial intern for Her Campus UCSB. When she isn’t writing, she’s usually either doing yoga, getting coffee, or planning her future travels.