Seasoning Guide for the Newly Independent Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Cooking is a skill that we will need for the rest of our lives. With the amount of delicious spices in the world, cooking can always stay fun while being equally tasty. As newly independent women, we need to learn an essential skill that we can use to be functioning adults. Here, I am going to give an introductory guide on the best way to affordably season your chicken, fish, and beef, which all can be easily prepared and cooked. Hopefully this guide can inspire you to host a dinner, barbeque, or even a nice meal for your self. All meats taste especially flavorful when marinated with wet seasonings in the fridge for at least 2 hours and at most 2 days. With the help of a small amount of your favorite cooking oil, dry seasonings should be massaged or rubbed into the meat. Chicken and fish need to be well done, while beef can range from rare to well done depending on your preference. 

Use the list below to create the perfect blend for your favorite choice of meat.

Chicken

Dry: Black Pepper, Cayenne, Cumin, Curry Powder, Dry Mustard Powder, Fennel, Lemon Pepper, Marjoram, Paprika, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Sage, Salt, Sesame Seeds.

Wet: Garlic, Ginger, Jerk, Lemon, Parsley, Pesto, Soy Sauce.

Fish

Dry: Allspice, Basil, Bay Leaf, Chili Flakes, Dill, Fennel, Lemon Pepper, Marjoram, Old Bay, Oregano, Sage, Salt, Sesame Seeds, Tarragon.

Wet: Cilantro, Lemon, Mustard, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme.

Beef

Dry: Basil, Bay Leaf, Black Pepper, Cayenne, Chili Powder, Cumin, Dry Mustard Powder, Red Pepper Flakes.

Wet: Cilantro, Curry, Rosemary, Thyme, Tarragon.

Hi, I'm Jaela and I am a 4th year English major at UC, Santa Barbara. My main interests are food, political activism, law, fashion, traveling, and writing. I am especially interested in helping girls and women become their best selves.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.