Santa Barbara Adventure Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Another weekend has past and to paraphrase Drake’s third studio album everything was the same (besides Extravaganza!). We go to the same parties, eat the same food, and do the same things. And to be totally honest with you, it has gotten completely and entirely boring. It is college! Our lives should be filled with adventure and new experience and not the binging the same show on Netflix, wearing an old pair of boxers. But, hey, I get it; we fall into a routine, and sometimes it feels nice to be lazy. HOWEVER, we are lucky enough to live in one of the most beautiful cities in California—Santa Barbara—and we should take advantage of that while we can!

So, instead of lounging in our onesies and sleeping in until noon, here are some amazing SB adventures to try next weekend!

1. Sky Diving

If you are the ultimate thrill seeker, this might be the best adventure for you! I mean you get jump out of a plane! While skydiving can be pricey, Skydive Santa Barbara offers tandem jumps for as low as $170.

2. Sea Cave Kayaking

While this isn’t technically in Santa Barbara, the Channel Islands, where this adventure is offered, is only a boat ride away! Explore and be one with the marine life. And even better, you get a little arm workout while you are at it!

3. Horseback Riding

Ever wanted to feel like a majestic Fabio riding a horse on a beach at sunset, all while your hair is gorgeously flowing behind you? Well, look no further because the Santa Barbara Adventure Company gives you the chance to feel just as sexy (and dramatic) as the next soap opera star.

4. Paddle Boarding

Bored on a Sunday? To cure that boredom just grab a couple of your friends and go paddle boarding! Paddle boarding may seem like a lazy man’s version of surfing, but it isn’t! It is fun and very Insta-worthy.

5. Lizard’s Mouth 

If you are like me, hiking can be too ambitious for someone who likes to nap on a regular basis. But Lizard’s Mouth ranges from easy to difficult, it all depends on you. :) 

6. Knapp’s Castle

In only a 30-minute drive, you can travel back in time to the early 1900s! Explore the old remains of the Knapp’s Castle mansion built in 1916. Knapp’s is especially fun during sunset, as you get an amazing view of the Santa Ynez Mountains.

7. Whale Watching

Physical exertion not for you? Don’t worry because you can have a unique SB adventure without the sweat and muscle strain by whale watching! Whale watching is a great way to explore the open waters and catch a beautiful glimpse of some of the ocean’s largest animal—the whale!

8. Gaviota Wind Caves

Enjoy hiking and spectacular natural rock formations? Well, the Gaviota Wind Caves are just for you! A simple hike just off the 101 will take you to breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains!

9.  Romero Road

Romero Road is a mountain biking trail in Summerland. You might be thinking right now, Lisa, why would I want to bike on my freetime when I bike from school to my apartment and back again over and over? But hey, this isn’t your boring ocean road bike path; trust me.

10. Potters Point

Rock climbing, hiking, and swinging oh my! Have the ultimate outdoor adventure at Potters Point, all while only being a few miles away from UCSB! So, stretch your muscles during your weekend fun! 

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.