Is the Royal Engagement the New Cinderella Story?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Meghan Markle was your ordinary TV actress on your local television but now she is the first half-black princess! What started off as a blind date is now a page for the history books. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry became engaged on November 27, 2017. This news made headlines, lecture-discussions, and snapchat stories! So why all the fuss? Besides that she is the first American princess, this is basically every girl’s fantasy (well for the most part). This engagement is literally the princess story we have seen on our tv and movie screens. Do you know which princess I am referring to? I will give you a hint. She sings with animals, has a blue gown, and leaves a glass slipper. Do you know who this is? That is right, it is Cinderella! This is a Cinderella Story!

Image via Gif

So how is this royal engagement a spitting image of the Cinderella Story? Well, let us take a look. Although Meghan Markle had already made a name for herself, she is technically going from middle-class to riches overnight. This is similar to Cinderella as she went from rags to riches overnight. Plus, he is a PRINCE, she is his PRINCESS! That alone is a Cinderella moment!

Image via Gif

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry met through a mutual friend. The mutual friend set them up on a blind date. Although there was no ballroom or ball dance, the two shared a connection. Similar to Cinderella, the couple fell for one another on the first encounter, which resulted in many more encounters. Now, the newly engaged couple has set a date for May 2018 at  St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle. Yes, I said Castle! Their love story is the modern-day sequel to the Cinderella story!

image via 8 of the sweetest moments

My name is Jasmine Marie Palmerin. I am a second year, majoring in English and Sociology.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)