This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

While social issues have always found their place throughout history, 2020 has been a year of groundbreaking activism to a degree that many of us have never experienced before. From racial justice to environmentalism to LGBTQ+ rights, people around the world have taken a stand for what they believe. According to the New York Times, this year’s Black Lives Matter movement may be the largest in U.S. history. Protests, statements of solidarity, and educational infographics have flooded the streets and our phones with news about the ongoing racial injustices in our country. Thanks to social media, getting involved in activism seems to be at our fingertips – but is scrolling through your feed and clicking on petitions to sign enough?

Many social activists define performative allyship as “a form of activism used to increase one’s social capital or personal gain rather than genuine support towards a movement, issues, or causes.” Performative allyship is largely done to boost one’s self-image, often presenting itself in aesthetic “Instagrammable” actions that rarely push beyond one’s comfort zone; once you feel like you’ve “done enough” for the cause, life can go back to normal – but systemic issues of racial injustice don’t just disappear with a repost to your story. Social media can be a great way to stay updated and informed, but it shouldn’t be your only news source. Often our social media platforms are like a bubble – where those who we follow, and those who follow us already share similar views. Consequently, when you share information solely through social media, you’re reinforcing an echo chamber where people already agree with your beliefs. Allyship should extend beyond the scope of our screens, reaching people who may not share your views on social issues.

Genuine activism is a lifelong process of learning and unlearning that doesn’t produce immediate results overnight. Below is a non-exhaustive list of examples of genuine allyship:

Recognize and reflect upon your privilege and your biases.

It’s important to recognize that you’re human, and you’re bound to make mistakes as you go. Take the time to listen and learn from them.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Donate to funds and organizations, support BIPOC-owned businesses, and boycott corporations that work against the cause.

Hold yourself and others accountable.

Did your friend say something racially insensitive? Here it’s important to speak up and explain why it was wrong. It may be uncomfortable at first, but having those difficult conversations with friends and family is crucial in breaking down barriers and initiating change within your circles.

Contact people in power.

Demand change by calling or emailing your state and local representatives, attending town hall meetings, and even talking to your teachers and bosses about creating a more inclusive environment.

Understand that your work in social activism is long-term.

Sustainable social change is a much longer process than simply checking a few action items off of a to-do list (although those are good too!). Even when the streets are empty of protests and your social media feed goes back to normal, stay committed to the fight. We got this!

Erica is a second year Sociology and Communication double major from Washington DC. She loves dancing, hiking, traveling, and spending time with friends. She is a huge fan of all things sustainability, AOC, and any song by 88rising.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus