This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I was sitting in my roommate’s car, sipping on my drink from Dutch Bro’s, wearing a Rex Orange County shirt with “Who Cares?” written on the back, when I looked down at my phone and saw the message: “Rex Orange County Assault Claims.” It was a suggestion from my Her Campus editor for this week’s article pitch.

My first reactions were confusion and disbelief. Surely I had read that wrong. The second thought that popped into my head was that the singer had been assaulted himself. Then the truth of the situation finally became clear, and I was taken aback. I voiced my disbelief to my other friends in the car, saying, “Do you guys know who Rex Orange County is?” My friend sitting next to me acknowledged the controversy, saying “Oh yeah I heard about that.”

Rex Orange County, whose real name is Alexander O’Connor, is an indie-pop singer from London who has made recent headlines for sexual assault allegations. The singer allegedly assaulted a woman in London six times, starting on June 1, 2021, and continuing to the next day. According to The Sun: “A representative for Rex Orange County said: ‘Alex is shocked by the allegations which he denies and looks forward to clearing his name in court. He is unable to make any further comment because of the ongoing proceedings.’” O’Connor is set for trial on January 3, 2023.

The era of the #MeToo movement has left people wondering which of their beloved celebrities is next. It seems like you can’t support anyone without later being disheartened and disgusted to hear about their transgressions. These allegations were particularly surprising for many, as Rex Orange County was known for his romantic songs and had created a safe space for his female fans. Many, including myself, saw him as a sort of “ideal boyfriend” figure, as his romantic songs talked about love and relationships. His lyrics were seen as inspirational, leading to people now rethinking the influence he had on them.

While it is important to talk about the impact this news has had on his fans, it is far more important to talk about how this affects the victim. Often in these discussions, it is talked about how the art is now no longer the same. However, we don’t often think about how the victim is most likely no longer the same. It is hard to speak up against a perpetrator, and it must be even harder to speak up against someone who holds power in the public sphere.

I believe that it is not a good thing to put anyone on a pedestal. Worshipping celebrities can become problematic when people no longer see them as human. In a Buzzfeed article about the fans’ reactions, one “shared that she had removed O’Connor’s vinyl from her wall because ‘the pride and adoration’ she previously felt for him no longer existed.” It can be fun to be a fan of someone’s art, but it is important to realize that they are not infallible. They have the capacity to do horrendous things, just like any other person.

Some may say cancel culture is toxic, but when it comes to acts against people’s bodies, it is no longer a part of cancel culture, it is a crime. It is a crime, and the person, if found guilty, should be held accountable for it and not be paid special treatment because of their celebrity status. If people decide to no longer listen to his music, it is their right. An artist can sometimes be separated from their art, but when it comes to egregious crimes, it is very difficult to do that, to say the least.

Hello! I’m currently a fourth year English major at UCSB and an editorial intern for HerCampus UCSB. I enjoy reading fiction books that include coming-of-age stories as well as romance novels. I also enjoy creative writing and journaling. I am a first-generation college student, as well as a child of immigrants. Looking forward to using my voice to shine light on mental health issues in young adults and to give a voice to the Latina community.