This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

“How did you get so confident over quarantine?” Honestly, I couldn’t tell you. I haven’t worked out in a year. I’ve been binge-eating like crazy. And I haven’t had any pivotal life changes since we started lockdown. Yet somehow, this is the best I’ve been my whole life. 

It’s not like I’m an introverted person and lockdown was a dream come true. I am actually fairly outgoing and gregarious, not to toot my own horn. It was extremely difficult to adjust at the beginning of lockdown. I’ve always been an extrovert, and the isolation drove me to the point of crying at 3 p.m. in my pajamas as I watched Hamilton for the fifth day in a row. I never thought I was the type of person who “needed space” or time away from people.

But getting to know myself this past year has opened my eyes to who I really am.

While I am still very friendly and extroverted, I have appreciated time with myself and reflected on my own personal philosophies that have helped me become more confident.

Let yourself be sad.

Someone told me once that Beyonce allows herself to cry for one whole day and lets her feel all the emotions- the “good” and the “bad.” Then she bounces back to the star she is. I don’t know if it’s true, but it honestly helps!

Forgive yourself.

This isn’t about forgiving yourself when you mess up, it’s about forgiving yourself for when you know you’re not completely healed yet. You don’t have to be 100% over it. 

Learn that there are no “good” or “bad” emotions.

Just emotions. Let yourself be who you truly are without judgement from others or yourself. 

I noticed that though I loved talking to people and socializing, my self-worth was dependent on the validation of others, and whether or not they recognized the better parts of me that I tried so hard to portray. Now, I don’t need to be concerned about judgment, because I learned to appreciate all of who I am- the good and the bad. 

Freshman at UCSB majoring in Communication and Political Science. Enjoys TikTok, the Avengers, and belting out to the Hamilton soundtrack. Will also do your makeup (somewhat well) and go shopping with you.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus