kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Reality Check: Being Sick At College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It is that time of the year when the student’s coughs are louder than the professor’s lectures. When sniffles and tissues are at every lecture hall. Personally, I am on week three of being sick.

As I was sitting in my bed with tea and Nyquil at the side of me, I tried to recall any sick days I had in high school and just how I felt better in a matter of hours. I wrote down all the products and medicines I bought when I was sick in high school: tea, vapor rub, ice pack, tissues, Nyquil, more medicine, cozy blanket, and Emergency C. I followed the same routine for two weeks and nothing! I felt worse and worse as days went on. I don’t know what I was missing. I bought everything, well at least that’s what I thought. But I forgot there was one important person who helped me get better in the past and that person is my mom!

Image via Pop Science

I called my mom and she told me to stop taking on extra projects and rest. Rest? What is that? There is not enough time in the day to rest in college. My life is going, going, go. However, I do remember in high school how my mom would force me to rest. Thus, for a whole week, I rested. I took the same steps and added rest, but that did not work! Again, I am now on week three of being sick, so I decided to go home for the weekend. I kid you not collegiates, I feel ten times better. All my mom did was give me Nyquil, tea, a meal, and forced me to rest. Now I am good as new. It is really important to take care of yourself while in college. Drinks lots of fluids, eat two to three meals a day, drink tea (medicine ball at Starbucks is the best for the flu), and REST! I know resting is just something we sadly do not have time for, but it is essential in order to feel better.

I am so thankful for my mom and all that she does and continues to do for me. Regardless of how many years I have been in college thus far, I still need my mom sometimes and I am never ashamed of it. After all, mom’s always know what’s best!

My name is Jasmine Marie Palmerin. I am a second year, majoring in English and Sociology.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.