courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Real Talk: When You and Your Roomie are Out of the Honeymoon Phase

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Ah college, the place where you get thrown into a tiny room with a stranger (or two) and are expected to live amongst one another in complete harmony. The first week went smoothly. It was probably filled with polite inquiries:

“Is my music bothering you?” 

“Not at all, I love this song!”

“Are you sure?”

“Totally.”

Well, two months later it turns out you actually hate that song and your roomie is well aware of it (which is why she turns the volume up). Congratulations! You two have stepped out of the facade known as the honeymoon phase. Say buh-bye to any form of decency because it’s about to get REAL.

Remember that sweater you lost 3 weeks ago? Your roomie has it buried in her closet. . . along with the matching top.

“I can’t find my headphones” has become an overused excuse to justify why neither one of you can lower the volume of your music. 

Yes, that’s dirty laundry sprawled across the bedroom floor.

Speaking of laundry, what are pants?

Awkward hugs just for the sake of making eachother uncomfortable are always nice.

Insults are now your main form of communication.

You take out your daily frustrations on eachother.

Her food is your food and vice versa. 

You complain about the “time of the month” together. 

Passing gas is completely acceptable.

Friendship truly is a beautiful thing. 

Naomi is a fourth-year, English major and Multimedia Writing minor at UCSB. She is originally from the LA area, but aspires to someday make it in New York as a web content writer. Cats, green tea and British accents are slight obsessions of hers.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.