Rant: Why I Absolutely Hate The New Snapchat Update

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I know I’m not the only one slightly upset about the new Snapchat update (“slightly” being an understatement). I’ve heard just about everyone from family to friends to random people talking on the streets complain about it. I’ve even heard some people threaten to delete their accounts or simply just stop using it and that over a million petitioned to get the old Snapchat back. 

Adjusting to a changed app is hard enough, but the way it happened so quickly caught me way off-guard. It happened so suddenly I didn’t even know what to do with myself. I was laying in my bed, happily enjoying Snapchat as it was, while all my roommates in the background complained about the update. I was enjoying that mine hadn’t updated and that it didn’t look like it was going to as it’d been a couple days since the update released. But then I closed the app on accident and reopening it, to my surprise and horror, right before my eyes, it had suddenly updated. It literally flashed before my eyes! No warning, no choice. I laid there in shock literally trying to understand what the hell had just happened. I thought I could get away update-free…but it got me.

Image via GoogleImages.com

It feels like all my friends have just disappeared! Where is everyone? Why can’t I find my friends’ stories? And why are all these celebrities whom I never added and never cared about available for me to see their stories?! It’s also slightly more difficult to navigate until you get the hang of it. I keep finding myself doing things that would normally work for the old Snapchat. Old habits die real hard. It’s much less enjoyable to use now, in my opinion, I no longer find any joy opening the app because I know it’ll be a mission to use and to find the stories I’d once had no problems finding before. All in all, I feel disconnected from my friends and others whom I enjoyed watching their stories and have found that since the update, I use Snapchat much less and spend more time on Instagram now because of it.

Who thought of this! Whoever did, change it back now, please. 

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)