People are Announced “Dead” in Sudden Facebook “Massacre”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

On Friday, November 11, Facebook announced a plethora of people “dead” on Facebook, including Facebook’s very own CEO, Mark Zuckerberg.

However, this was later confirmed to be an error in the Facebook system, but it didn’t stop people from looking up their Facebook profiles to check if they were victim to this viral memorialization of profiles. A representative from Facebook clarified that “a message for memorialized profiles was mistakenly posted to other accounts.”

This stirred confusion amongst the newly announced “dead” Facebook users. Although this sudden “update” came across as somewhat upsetting at first, many people took it upon themselves to take advantage of this opportune moment to make light of this depressing status. Many tweeted about their loss shortly after discovering the new Facebook bug.

Some responses however, were quite amusing.

However, this was short lived when the bug was fixed and everyone was brought back to life once again around 5 pm that day. A spokesperson from Facebook told Wall Street Journal about this risky mistake, and admitted this move will certainly be regretted. Though quite troubling at first, Facebook has spurred yet another humorous reaction from the media.

Mable Truong is a second year collegiate attending the University of California- Santa Barbara, with a major in Communication. She is into everything that is cute, pink or characteristically happy. Despite her interests in pink and all things happy, you can often find her wearing a wardrobe composing of of mainly black, gray, and white. In hopes of making it big in the field of creative marketing and branding, she tries her best to incorporate her life interests to her education. DIY projects and interior design are her favorite past times, and you can often find her planning her next project in her overly pink dorm room.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay