This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The Oscars is a huge night for fashion-lovers and style-watchers, so of course I was scoping out the hottest looks on the red carpet. Amongst an alluring sea of blacks, golds, and creams, I managed to pick my top five gowns of the night. 

1. Sandra Bullock in Alexander McQueen. This midnight blue satin gown hugged her every curve and looked simply flawless. The draping accentuated her waist and the sweetheart neckline looked absolutely elegant. Her simple, but classic curls and diamond studs and bracelet were timelessely gorgeous. She may not have won the Oscar, but she won the red carpet!

2. Lupita Nyong’o in Prada. The ethereal pale blue against her skin tone was simply amazing. This dress reminded me of a modern day Cinderalla, complete with the simple hairband. I love that she kept the accessories to a minimum and let the dress be the star. The flowiness of the gown offsets the plunging neckline and kept it elegant enough for the red carpet.

3. Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace. This shimmery gold and cream dress looked stunning enough with the rouching and low neckline, but the back cape is what made it perfect for me. This is such a unique dress and it fit her perfectly. The lightly studded top and shoulder pads gave it a tougher vibe, which I absolutely adored. The color offset her tan nicely and the simple touches of jewelry accentuated the elegantness of the dress.

4. Jennifer Lawrence in Dior. Remember the skintight red dress JLaw wore to the 2012 Oscars? This definitely reminded me of it, although I did love that look better. But this orangey-red number did look stunning on her. I love the contrast of the peplum skirt and the straight neckline. The necklace that hung low on her back was unique and added just the right touch of sexy. Her slicked back hair looked fresh and modern. Let’s just say that red is her color!

5. Chrissy Teigen in Monique Lhuillier. The model kept it fresh and fun with a strapless floral gown – with pockets! I loved the abstract design of pink petals against the black dress. Her pink lipstick and beachy waves stayed in tune with the freshness of the dress while the long train and dangly earrings brought it back down to red carpet level. The perfect balance of fun and high fashion!

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats. 
Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!