This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard of the recent drama that occurred at The Academy Awards. In case you haven’t kept up or perhaps already have forgotten, here’s the rundown of what happened: On March 27, during the annual Oscars ceremony, Chris Rock told a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith that prompted Will Smith to get out of his seat and slap him. 

Like many viewers at the time, I was shocked and assumed this act was staged. It soon became obvious that it was real but that didn’t stop the internet from instantly turning the moment into a meme. Besides the parody that followed, this didn’t take away from the seriousness of the issue which lots of celebrities and fans chimed in on, leading to some mixed opinions as to whether the slap was justified or not. This begs the question: were Will Smith’s actions noble or just plain stupid?

Human Moment or toxic masculinity?

While many argue how Will Smith’s slap was completely unwarranted, it’s important to consider all facts and other perspectives. As one Twitter user pointed out, “You don’t ever get to decide how another person handles disrespect dished out to them.” This point is valid and even brings into account the fact that Jada suffers from alopecia, a topic she has expressed is very sensitive for her to speak on. However, given the fact that it appeared Will’s initial reaction to the infamous GI Jane joke was not one of aggression, it may be safe to infer that this wasn’t simply an instinctual reaction to something he felt strongly about and rather one filled with pride and something to prove to his wife who was clearly unamused. 

While there is no excuse for violence in this context, anyone who may be justifying Will’s actions as merely a human response to disrespect, should keep in mind that his need to defend his wife may have ultimately been rooted in toxic masculinity. There is no doubt that the cultural pressure for a man to behave a certain way (in this case, that a husband must stand up for his wife) had a majority to do with the slap. However, even Jada Pinkett Smith has recently come out saying she doesn’t support Will reacting that way since she is a woman that doesn’t need protecting. Toxic masculinity is problematic not only because of the violence it’s caused but the demeaning effect it has on women.  

Justice for Chris rock

During the midst of this chaos, many wonder if Will Smith’s actions will ever receive any consequences. Following the slap, the actor not only received an Oscar but was also seen partying later that night with seemingly no repercussions for his wrongdoing. Chris Rock, the victim of the slap who’s openly discussed suffering from a non-verbal learning disorder, had refused to press charges against Smith, leading many to believe Smith would get off scot-free. However, news recently broke that the Academy is banning Smith from the Oscars for the next 10 years. While it can be argued that the slap warranted an even greater punishment, this is still a step in the right direction toward sufficient justice for Rock. 

This story caught the entire world by storm, garnering mixed reactions from all across the nation.

What began as a playful jab at Jada Pinkett Smith soon led to a display of toxic masculinity at its finest, becoming easily confused with “nobility” by a society that sets a standard of “macho-ness” for men which can lead to aggression and impulsive violent actions. This lack of thinking caused not only the degradation of Chris Rock in this instance, but Jada Pinkett Smith, the Academy Awards, and Will Smith himself.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the biggest takeaway should not be who was right or wrong but rather how an explanation for an action does not equate to a justification.

Hi ! I'm Deanna, a 3rd year English major and currently an editorial intern here at Her Campus. My hobbies include watching tv, relaxing, and, of course, writing. I aim to write about what I care about and what resonates with me the most.