Open Letter to My Rapist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

*Trigger warning: Sexual assault*

Dear XYZ,

You know who you are. I won’t call you by your name because you’re not worth the personal recognition. 

I’m angry, XYZ; I’ve been angry for more than a year now. Every time I hear your name, see your face, or remember that night, a fire explodes in my mind and my body grows tense. Reminders of you bring waves of cold numbness over me that can last anywhere from a few hours to a few months. 

I’m confused, XYZ; what did I do to deserve your abuse? I knew you, and you knew me. We dated, whether you would have called it that or not. I cared about you, and I mistakenly thought you cared about me. You spent time trying to make me feel like I was worth respect and in an instant, you made me feel like I was worth nothing.

I’m sorry, XYZ; I’m sorry I didn’t report you to the police when I should have. I let you stay the night that night instead of kicking you out, seeing as I didn’t want to accept what had just happened. I was in denial for over a month. I wish I had gone to the police immediately so that maybe I would have had a slightly higher chance of being believed. Unfortunately, I know that my chances of a courtroom victory are and always were virtually nonexistent.

I’m tired, XYZ; I’m exhausted from all the anxiety you’ve triggered in my life. I began having almost daily anxiety/panic attacks once you moved to Santa Barbara. You didn’t realize I knew you had moved here, did you? Your face popped up on my Tinder app. Seeing the words “3 miles away” has haunted me ever since. I’ve been in a downward spiral since that moment many months ago.

I hate you, XYZ; I hate you with every fiber of my being. I don’t like to wish bad things upon anyone, but I don’t wish good things for you. I will eventually accept what occurred that night, and I will eventually stop hating you. I reject the notion that I have to forgive you to move on, and I can promise you now, XYZ, I will never forgive you.

You made a decision for the both of us that night, XYZ. It was a decision you can never take back, and we will both have to live with that decision for the rest of our lives. I may be hurting now, XYZ, but I will not hurt forever. 

Hey there! My name is Morgan, and I'm a third year transfer student at UCSB. I attended the University of Colorado Boulder my freshman year, and Santa Monica College my sophomore year. I'm a feminist studies major, and I plan on pursuing a career in either human rights law or journalism. Hope you enjoy my articles!
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay