One Text at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Does your phone ever sound like it is having a spasm as it seems to buzz uncontrollably throughout the day?  

Mine does when I have certain friends who send sometimes eight (or even more) shorts text messages in what could have been just one. Yes, I’m lucky to even have friends who want to talk to me, but I also need my mental sanity. I interpret these texts as eight separate messages needing my attention.

You can imagine my dismay when four out of those eight messages are “LOL,” “soooo,” “yeahhhhh,” and “omg omg omg.” This attack of messages should be preserved for only the most critical of times such as any major boy drama, urgent personal issues, or extreme excitement! Otherwise, in everyday conversation, so many messages has no necessity.

College is a constant whirlwind of a million things happening at once. This thing happening on the news, this assignment due in a week, an event with friends to attend only 10 minutes after your class finishes, calling family, and trying your best to remember where you last parked your bike. The last thing I need is my phone feeling practically like a back massager because it is vibrating so consistently.

So here’s my public service announcement to please consolidate your text messages to three or less, or else just give me a ring.

Or who knows, maybe my phone will find its way to the bottom of the Pacific.

Photo Courtesy of Giphy

Hi! I'm a second year at UCSB studying history of public policy. You can find me hitting the gym, running by the beach, or trying out a new recipe from Pinterest!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)