NorCal vs. SoCal People at Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

So UCSB is an awesome school in the sense that it encompasses people from all areas of California. It’s in the smack middle of California, which means that it doesn’t necessarily identify as either a NorCal UC or a SoCal UC. That’s why at this school, you’ll find people from all over the California. But one thing I’ve noticed in Isla Vista is the difference in partying between people from NorCal and people from SoCal. Being from the Bay Area myself, I’ve noticed that not everyone else parties the way we do. It’s interesting to see the different ways people interact at parties, based on where they’re from. Here’s a fun party experience that showcases the differences between people from two different parts of California.

It’s Friday night, and I’ve had a long week. My friends are all ready to have a fun night out and we have a few parties lined up to go to in IV. So I’m getting ready for a party with my girlfriends, and I realize it’s kind of chilly outside. This is what girls generally wear, depending on where they’re from, when it’s not super warm.

NorCal:

SoCal:

NorCal girls generally wear scarves, layers, and tights. Their attire is more laid back and comfortable. We’re used to the cold and we’re prepared for it! SoCal girls generally dress classy and minimal. They want to look good, and know what will suit them. SoCal girls are all about crop tops, high wasted shorts, and flip flops!

We start pregaming and I notice the girls’ preferences of drinks. Normally for drinks, there isn’t really a difference according to where you’re from. There is a tiny bit in terms of alcohol, you could say.

NorCal:

SoCal:

Growing up in NorCal, there is preference for people to like dark drinks, such as rum, Henessy, or Jack Daniels. While in SoCal, partying at nice places gives them the inclination to prefer vodka and flavored concoctions.

We leave to start walking towards the parties. As we enter the first party, I notice the activities that people partake in. It really is a little different depending on where you’re from.

NorCal:

SoCal:

When it comes to the first few hours of the party, I’ve noticed the differences in terms of socializing. NorCal really internalizes to that laid-back, chill reputation that we have. We grab beers, socialize, and get started on a game of beer pong or rage cage. They take it slow, because they’re waiting on one thing – the dancing. SoCal goes hard. The girls book it for the shots or jungle juice. The guys generally tend to get the games started. They’re ready to go, and that go-getter attitude to get the night started is pretty awesome. I’ve noticed the preferred chill beer game for guys in NorCal and SoCal is different as well.

NorCal:

They prefer beer pong or Snappa 

SoCal:

They prefer beer-die

After an hour or so, most people are generally drunk. The drinks are flowing, the music is bumping, and everyone is down to dance. Dancing, in my opinion, is the largest difference between NorCal and SoCal parties. And that all depends on the music choice as well. This is the difference in music:

NorCal:

We’ve generally grown up with roots of Hip Hop and RnB. So we prefer hip hop and rap classics. From E-40 to Future, we prefer songs that are centered on beats, so we can get low.

SoCal:

They generally prefer EDM music. From trap to house, they prefer that amazing beat drop so they can fit bump and go crazy to the fast beats. From Dillon Francis to Kaskade, they love the DJs with the best drops.

The dancing is extremely different:

NorCal:

SoCal:

SoCal girls don’t like grinding. At all.

Remember, this is completely anecdotal! There are always exceptions to every generalization. Realizing these differences between NorCal and SoCal people is really interesting, but one thing is certain – both types of people love partying! 

Just a Bay Area girl trying to make it in the real world with the help of friends, coffee, and Drake.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.