New Year New Me: Healthy Winter Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Who doesn’t start their New Year pledging to begin a healthier lifestyle? I find that this year will be no different. However, if you are anything like me and need to satisfy your sweet tooth, here are some healthy winter oriented treats to start your new year out right:

New Year New Me Acai Bowls:

Although Acai Bowls are often considered a treat to cool off- the option of making a hot bowl is always there. The bowls are a variation of a smoothie, blended with acai berries that have been titled to be one of the key superfoods of the 21st century. Yet, one of the downsides of having shops popping up everywhere selling these treats is the price, often ranging from $7-13. You can make this bowl easily at home with these ingredients:

Two 4-ounce packets unsweetened frozen acai puree

1 medium banana sliced up

1/2 cup blueberries/ or frozen berries

1 tablespoon honey

3 tablespoons granola

1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes

*A hot bowl alternative would be to mix hot oatmeal with the acai puree rather than the frozen berries

[http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/acai-breakfast-…

Cinnamon Toast Crunch:

No, not the cereal- however just toasting a slice of whole grain bread adding 1/2 teaspoon of butter, 1/4 brown sugar, and a lot of cinnamon tastes heavenly. Also not to mention simple and easy.  You can also alternate and use raisin bread.

Baked Apples:

Bake Apple with stuffed oats and honey drizzle

Hot Chocolate Alternative:

Almond milk along with a drizzle of dark chocolate syrup makes a slight less sweet hot chocolate, however still yummy!

Pretzels with Chocolate:

Pretzels dipped in PB rolled in chocolate syrup and almonds

Enjoy and stay dry!

Shefali Agarwal is a second year Communications Major at University of California Santa Barbara, hoping to pursue PR in the future. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Shefali enjoys traveling, eating, reading and playing volleyball. Anything that gets her out there and active is a must do. See what she is up to on Instagram @shefalee!
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.