The New Starbucks Rewards Program: What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you’re a Starbucks junkie then most likely you received an e-mail last week about the changes being made to the My Starbucks Rewards Program. The email, however, was very short and didn’t explain a whole lot about the new program. So what does this change mean for you?

To recap, the original rewards program offered gold card members one star for every purchase, regardless of how much or little was spent on each purchase. Once 12 stars were earned, the member would receive a free drink (of any size) or a few food item. And 30 stars must be earned per year to remain at the Gold level. With the new program members will earn 2 stars for every $1 spent—sounds like a good deal right? Well the catch is that they are also changing the number of stars needed to earn a free item and remain at the Gold level. You now need to earn 125 stars for a free reward and 300 stars to remain at Gold level.

Pro: The new program is good for those who buy multiple items in one order, such as large group orders, additional food items, or for those who frequently buy more expensive drinks, such as Frappuccinos, lattes, and the seasonal drinks. No longer do you need to be that person who makes the barista ring up your items in separate orders so that you can gain more stars on your card (admit it, you know you’ve done that at least once before!)

Fact: With the new program you will have spent around $62 by the time you earn 125 stars and a Reward (free food or drink item).

Con: The new program will not be very beneficial to those who usually just buy regular coffee or tea that cost about half the price of the other crafted drinks. These customers would previously get a star for each $2 coffee purchased each visit, but now they will have to spend more money before they reach 125 stars.   

What Starbucks doesn’t tell you:

As a gold member the stars earned towards your reward (free food/ beverage item) will now expire in 6 months instead of the previous 12 months. Which means that within 6 months you will have to spend $150 to reach Gold status. But if you spend around $5 per Starbucks visit, you should reach Gold level status within 30 visits.

Starbucks is also offering a few new features to their Rewards Program called “Double-Star Day.” One day, once a month, Gold members will receive 4 stars for every dollar spent that day. This day will be a surprise each month and members will be notified via email the day of.

The new program won’t be implemented until April… but who knows, Starbucks Double-Star Day could actually become a thing! 

Tasha is a fourth year English major at UC Santa Barbara. She is a Palm Springs native who prefers the cloudy sweater weather days of Santa Barbara, over the near 365 days of sunsine in Palm Springs. She rides horses and enjoys outdoor activites when her nose is not shoved into a book or in front of a computer screen. 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.