The Lalapop Art Banana
The Lalapop Art Banana
Her Campus Media

Netflix’s Sex Education is Doing Things Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Sex Education came out in January 2019, and has since recieved strong praise. The second season dropped last month and is arguably just as good as the first, if not better. It’s a show that has gone places many shows haven’t dared to go. I’ve personally never seen another show in my 22 years of life that both talks about and shows sexual scenarios and relationships so shamelessly and honestly. As a forewarning: you’re going to see some stuff. If you’re sensitive to overtly sexual scenes or talk, it might not be your thing. But the show isn’t just about sex. There’s lot’s of love, family dynamics, friendships, and everything else under the sun concerning teenage life. Plus, it’s British. I wouldn’t be lying if I said this show has taught me more about sex than most of the sex education I’ve recieved in school… and that’s saying something.

The show is written by the talented Lauire Nunn, who has gone great lengths in creating such an entertaining, informative and important show for a wide range of audiences. She not only incorporates witty and effortless humor, but also important underlying discourses that society should be having. As a viewer, you can easily fall in love with the diverse characters that are portrayed and will find yourself rooting for them, laughing with them and tearing up through their harder times the whole way through. The diversity that’s included in this show is spectacular. Nunn covers many sensitive topics including sexual orientation and identity (homosexuality, bisexuality, pansexuality, and asexuality being among them), drug addiction, abortion, the morning after pill, bullying, sexual fantasies and fetishes, masterbation, difficult family situations, self-harm, sexual assault, feminism, race, complex female and male characters, and beyond. I believe TV shows are becoming more inclusive with the topics they include, but many of them are still lacking compared to Sex Education. If you need a quick summary of the plot, click here

Here are a few of the major reasons this show is worth watching (binging is more like it).

Visual Scenary, Outfits and Music

The show is set in a lusciously green English countryside. It’s a dreamlike location and will make you wish you went to school at the classically English, red-brick high school of Mooredale. The cinematography captures each scene beautifully, and the colors and tones are highly saturated. This is evident especially in the character’s outfits, which might I say, slay. These high schoolers are taking inspiration from the 80’s it seems, with daring pops of color, denim, and funky patterns. Another taste of the 80’s comes from the perfectly curated soundtrack, featuring classic hits like “Take On Me” by Aha, “The Promise” by When in Rome, “Crimson and Clover” by Tommy James and The Shondells, “What is Love” by the Haddaway, as well as more less-known songs that are just as impactful. I find myself singing along or getting emotional as some of these timeless songs play and fit right into the scenes. If you’re a part of the 80’s Music Appreciation Club like myself, you’re going to love it. Here’s a playlist of all of the songs featured in both season 1 and season 2!

The Importance of Sex Education

The main theme of the show is based around the fact that Mooredale has a pretty lame sexual education course. This in turn leaves the students confused and helpless in dealing with a whole range of relationship and sexual issues. Otis then decides to open up his underground sex clinic, charging students for a private discussion in which he gives them sexual advice. The show covers many real issues that should be normalized, because sex is (surprise!) normal. The underlying message being highlighted is that comprehensive sex education should be mandatory in all schools, both middle and high. According to Planned Parenthood, only 24 states in the U.S. mandate sex education. Only 24 out of 50 are requiring students to be taught the important information needed to have safer sex and healthier relationships. “Fewer than half of high schools and only a fifth of middle schools teach all 16 topics recommended by the CDC”, which includes information on how STI’s are transmitted and how to prevent them, as well as critical communication and decision making skills. Many sex ed courses are only teaching the bare minimum, but leaving out how to communicate your needs with a partner, how to find pleasure, how to deal with self-esteem and body issues, and a million more overlooked topics. This show does a brilliant job of shining a new light on sex education and the importance of talking openly about sex. You’re bound to hear about every sexual problem that someone could possibly have in this show, plus you’ll be learning a little something at the same time. 

Feminism & Sisterhood

There is a strong sense of sisterhood, especially in the second season, that has created waves across social media. You’ll follow a particular instance of sexual assault involving one of the characters, Aimee, and her journey in overcoming PTSD. There’s a specific bus scene at the end of season 2 that has made a major impact because it’s not only relatable to many women, but also shows that women empower women and amazing things can happen when they stand together. It’s a moving storyline, and a beautiful image of women from many back grounds and differences who are able to come together in a moment of unity. Feminism is a clear theme throughout the show and it offers complex female characters like Ola and the independent Maeve who’s intelligence and bravery is greatly highlighted within the show. Maeve and Aimee’s close-knit friendship is admirable, especially because of how they support each other no matter their differences. After the first season, you might find yourself proudly chanting, “it’s my vagina!” (you’ll see why).  

Identity and Self Expression

Identity is a complex topic, and Sex Education tackles this topic gracefully. There are many sexual identities portrayed, including Eric (Otis’s best friend) who is openly gay. Eric is bullied by Adam, another student, and struggles with being accepted by his family and culture. Throughout the show you get to watch as Eric, a queer black teen, grows into himself and becomes confident in his personal expression. He experiments with how he expresses himself, including with makeup and fashion. There are also instances of asexuality, pansexuality and bisexuality, all of which are spoken about normally and without shame. The show emphasizes the importance of being able to express your identity, whatever that identity may be, however you want to and it takes you on the difficult journey that people face in both exploring and discovering who they are whilst overcoming many challenges.  

Overall, Sex Education is a truly real show, in all senses of the word. You’ll feel incredibly awkward and uncomfortable at times (hint: alien sex and banana blowjobs), you’ll laugh hysterically, and you’ll cry in sympathy. You might be shocked at how intimate it gets, but you might also be left feeling more comfortable having an open conversation about sex and sexual health. You might even learn a thing or two about yourself… if you know what I mean. 

There is still so much stigma around sexuality and sex education, but I think this show is a step in the right direction to erasing that stigma. No one should have to feel ashamed of their sexuality or for being sexually active. It’s 2020— I think we should be past that by now? Sex is natural, and people should have better access to the knowledge that will provide them with what they need to have safer and happier relationships with not only themselves but with their partners too. So, if you’re looking for a new show to watch this February (perhaps with your romantic partner on Valentine’s Day?), watch Sex Education and get educated. 

Lorraine is a small business owner and graduate from UCSB with a major in Sociology. She loves photography, earring-making, writing, editing and music and is passionate about cruelty free skincare and makeup as well as becoming a successful business woman. You can usually find her binging comfort shows on Netflix for the 3,000th time, creating Spotify playlists for every mood, and dreaming about Harry Styles.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus