This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you are anything like me and have been fighting your natural curls since middle school, you are definitely not alone on this! From expensive flat-irons to copious amount of money lost on anti-frizz serums, we have tried it all. With trial and error, we come up with our secret to semi-smooth hair, but does it truly ever last? And why do we constantly feel that “sleek” hair is the best hair?

Image via Giphy.com

I’ve always thought that sleek hair made me look put-together and I just personally felt more myself. My friends at school thought I had naturally straight hair and I just curled it on occasion. My mom always told me my hair made me unique and that I should embrace the beautiful gift I was given. Quick tip: mothers are ALWAYS right! I didn’t want to admit it at first, but in the end, she gives me the “I told you so” look every time. (Love you mom!)

Once I started to consistently wear my hair natural, I got more compliments than ever before! Plus, I got to sleep in that much longer in the morning, about 30 minutes longer. Yes, it takes me that long to blow-dry and straighten my hair; oh, the things we do for our looks.

Like I said, moms are always right. I realized that my hair made me unique and it allowed me to stand out from the crowd and be myself. Even though curly hair can be SO unpredictable, I love it for all of its kinks and quirks. It’s my hair, my unique look, and my way to express me! So embrace your natural self, and don’t be afraid to be unique! I hear it’s all the rage these days!

Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear. 
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)