This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Meet Natalie Burrous: the down-to-earth, well-rounded, and involved UCSB student!

Name: Natalie Burrous

Year: Freshman

Major(s)/Minor(s): Comparative Literature with Foreign Language Emphasis but probably switching to Global Studies or Political Science (or both).

Hometown: Corte Madera, California

What are you involved in at UCSB? I am an intern for CALPIRG and a member of Delta Gamma.

What is CALPIRG? CALPIRG is a student-run, non profit organization that fights against special interests that threaten the well-being of our community or of the environment.

Why did you choose to join CALPIRG? I have done a lot of “community service” throughout my life, both as a leader and as a volunteer, and I wanted to continue that work through college.

What drew you to the desire to be in a sorority? Obviously, a significant factor in my decision to join a sorority was the lifelong sisterhood, but another huge factor was the philanthropy. Delta Gamma’s philanthropy is Service For Sight, which provides assistance for the visually impaired. My father is legally bling so Delta Gamma’s phinathropy was especially appealing to me.

What do you have to say on the stereotypes that exist about sororities? I think that almost all sorority stereotypes are based on the way that Greek Life is portrayed in the media. I, personally, judged all sororities based on what I saw in movies and I know now that I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Do you have any difficulty balancing between your classes and your other commitments? Yes. Between meetings and events, there is almost always something I need to do for CALPIRG or Delta Gamma and sometimes things conflict. It can be stressful but I wouldn’t want to give up either commitment. They’re both rewarding!

What do you hope to join or be a part of in the future? Next quarter I plan to join Sprout Up, which is a group of UCSB students that teach elementary school kids about the environment and sustainability.

So that’s Natalie Burrous. Inspired?

Cheyenne is a first-year UCSB student currently studying Communication and Environmental Studies. She is a third-culture kid who grew up in Dubai, UAE and therefore loves to travel and challenge the different social constructs that exist within our world. She enjoys writing, exercising, fashion, film, and is a total foodie. You can find her on Instagram @cheyennekab.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.