My Top 5 Romantasy Book Recs (As A Romance Lover)

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

‘Tis the season for cute heart decorations, not-so cute couples, yummy sweetheart candies, and little heart shaped envelopes we no longer receive now that we aren’t in elementary school. February and Valentine’s Day is upon us! What better time to get in the lovey-dovey feels than some fun romantasy books?

As an avid (and certified professional) romance book reader, I have some lovely books that I propose you read this Valentine’s season. If you are active on TikTok, you might have stumbled upon the world of BookTok on your For You Page. This subarea of the app is filled with edits of your favorite ships (Percabeth fans, I’m looking at you), along with fanart and clips of books from up-and-coming authors. Some of my personal favorite books I have read have come from BookTok, including a new subgenre called “Romantasy,” or romantic fantasy books.

Romantasy has the best of both worlds when it comes to romance books: faeries, magic, and love (duh)! In my opinion, the perfect romantasy book has a balance between world building, plot, banter, and, of course, the romance between two characters. Below I have included my top 5 romantasy Books, in no particular order.

#1 Folk of The Air Series by Holly Black

Holly Black’s first book in this series, The Cruel Prince, is a beautiful example of romantasy done right. The author thrusts the female protagonist into the world of Faerie, and as she is figuring out where she belongs, you learn the history and politics of the world as well. This makes the world-building less forced and more digestible, so you don’t feel like you’re getting choked by information. Not to mention the dresses and hairdos described are great for some fit inspo! The Folk of The Air series is also one of only a few enemies to lovers romances that (I feel) is done correctly. What’s more romantic than threatening to stab someone and then falling in love? I will say the love story in this series is more of a subplot than the whole theme, but the tension between the two protagonists makes it all worth it in the end! 

#2 The Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels by India Holton

This!! Book!! Holton has such a unique, flowery voice unlike any that I have ever read before, and does a beautiful job of referencing many classic literature pieces, like Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. If you have ever watched The Princess Bride or any of the Monty Python movies, the humor is super similar to that. Over-the-top plot twists, two hot pirates, and super silly societal standards make this book seriously one of the most fun reads ever. The protagonist, Cecelia, is a proper young lady in a Victorian society, but also a scoundrel and an absolutely amazing thief. I was on the edge of my seat the entire 300 or so pages. Cuddle up with your favorite cup of tea and get ready to giggle because of a certain smooth-talking pirate and fun hijackings of magical flying houses.

#3 Once Upon a Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber

I feel like a lot of times in fantasy novels, authors push their female characters into a “strong, doesn’t take sh*t from anyone” stereotype, and think that letting their character be gentle is not as interesting to the reader. Stephanie Garber does a beautiful job of making the protagonist powerful, sassy, and yet still kind. Evangeline, the woman you are! This pink-haired, bubbly main character is so relatable in her desire to feel loved, and has such, such, good banter with Jacks, the cursed Prince of Hearts. Not to mention, the world in Garber’s book felt so whimsical, with talking door-knobs and little dragons that roast apples on sticks. Garber’s whole series feels very much like a classic fairytale. If you end up liking this book, I highly, highly, recommend you finish the trilogy, because the dynamic between Jacks and Evangeline only gets more complicated (and better, imo)!

#4) Powerless by Lauren Roberts

I was craving a book like this: think dystopian, Hunger Games-esque vibes meets fantasy powers. The protagonist, Paedyn, is part of a group of people called “Ordinarys” that are not allowed to exist, and her love interest, Kai, is a prince of the kingdom that created this rule. Through various trials, their attraction and tension blossoms into a beautiful, banter-filled situationship. If you want to read a book where the love interest is downright obsessed with the main character, Lauren Roberts wrote the perfect book for you. To give you a hint into the type of fascination we are talking about, Kai says to Paedyn, “And I’ll save your life again and again, aimlessly hoping you will allow me to stay in it.” Cue my immediate giggles. If you start this book, mark your calendars with the day the sequel comes out, because you will not believe the cliffhanger.

#5 The Bridge Kingdom By Danielle L. Jensen 

If you want to read a fantasy set in a faraway tropical land, The Bridge Kingdom is for you. An assassin princess is sent to a collection of islands called the Bridge Kingdom, where her assignment is to marry and spy on the king. With political betrayals left and right, an underestimated yet strong female protagonist, and lots of snakes, I promise you will be on the edge of your seat during this entire novel! As the protagonist, Lara, spies on her new husband, the mystical world she is in unfolds as well, and her training as an assassin is put to the test. The chemistry between the two love interests was immediate, and every interaction will leave you wanting more. Definitely pick this book up if you want a balance of political upheaval and (slightly) spicy romance!

Even if you’re single, Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can’t get in the love-filled spirit! I highly encourage reading one of these novels for the best introduction to the genre of Romantasy. If you want to fall in love (without all the added drama) this February, make sure to pick up a cute book, grab your favorite heart-shaped snack, and get ready to kick your feet and giggle away.

Hey! My name is Kiana Woods and I am an English major at UCSB from the Monterey Bay Area. When I'm not studying or working with Her Campus, you can find me floating in the ocean or with a good book. I also love spending time with friends, cooking, and listening to Jack Johnson and Sade!